Ballet Talk for Dancers

Too Late?

Guest xXlovedanceXx

Guest xXlovedanceXx

I started dancing only a few years ago but I would really like to pursue a career in dance. I get so discouraged when I lack the technique and skill that I know is required, but I'm a very fast learner. Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my technique, or suggestions on how to catch up? Or did I just start too late to be a professional dancer?

"A few years" in the 13-16 age range isn't really that long ago. You should make sure that you are getting the best training available, and enough of it, and work not only hard, but smart. Keep reading Ballet Talk for Dancers, and you'll see what I mean about dancers who work smart.

And welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :)

Guest xXlovedanceXx

I've taken jazz and tap for three years, and this is my second year of ballet, but my teacher said that I was catching on quickly enough to be moved up. I'm working on the Cecchetti grade three exam and I started pointe at the beginning of this year. If I continue to work like this do you think I might make it into a dance company later? Oh and I just turned 15 so I'm in my first year of high school.

Edited by Victoria Leigh

Yes, there is every reason to believe, based on what you've told us so far, that you could dance professionally.

And a further answer, because this kind of a post usually causes a whole bunch of "How about for me, is it too late?", and other such rephrasings of the same question.

Here's the basic answer:

IF you have the best training available, and IF you work hard AND smart, and IF you have the talent, and IF your body has the facility, and IF you don't get discouraged easily, then yes, it is possible to become a professional dancer. If you're also lucky. Maybe.