Ballet Talk for Dancers
Snooty Tutu

Vienna State Opera Ballet School

Snooty Tutu

I was accepted to the Vienna State Opera Ballet School in the fall. I just got the word this morning and they want to hear back by Thursday! I really don't know much about this school and I would like to go so I was wondering if any of you know anything about it that could help my decision.

Snooty Tutu

Anyone? I am really excited about being able to go but unlike some other schools they offer little info on their website. Any tiny piece of info you guys might be able to share would be greatly appreciated!

shulie

I have no real new info on the school- my aunt attended that school more than 30 years ago and a lot has changed since then!

It is the only professional ballet boarding school in Austria as far as I know and their standards are quite high and comparable to other professional schools in Europe and the USA.

Student body is really international and so is the faculty.

Dance_Scholar_London

At which level will you enter? I assume you are under 18? Are you looking for doing you A-level (in this case the Austrian 'Matura') at the same time?

And did you also look at the other conservatoires in Vienna, e.g. Konservatorium Wien, which provides a Bachelor degree in ballet

les_sylphides_

Snootytutu--what made you audition for this school over others? I absolutely advise against attending (even if it is a wonderful school) if you don't know anything about it besides what's on the website! If you are serious about attending then you should call with a list of questions you have and ask them to send you some materials if possible as well. Don't forget there are also many excellent schools in the US !! (I'm assuming you live in California right now? according to your profile)

Snooty Tutu

It says on the website that you send in a video to be selected to go to the audition in Vienna. I was going to attend the audition and ask questions there. Monday I heard that they accepted me from the video I sent in without auditioning in person. I sent an email asking questions but I haven't heard back yet. :)

Latecat

Hi Snooty,

You mentioned that you were originally going to go to Vienna to attend the audition for the ballet school. Instead of flying in for the audition, why don't you or your parents call the school and arrange for you to take classes there and visit for a few days. That way you will find out first hand whether you and the school would be a good "match."

It's just a thought.

All the best with your decision.

balletbooster

Latecat makes an excellent suggestion! Deciding to attend a residency is a big decision and I would highly recommend seeing the school and getting a feel for it before committing, particularly when you will be so far from home!

Why the rush on making a decision? I wonder if they want your decision so they know how many slots they have open for the upcoming audition? Still, I think it is reasonable for you to ask for additional time and a chance to visit the school. All they can say is "NO" and then you will have to decide if you can make such an important decision in the time they have allotted you.

Is there someone at the school who speaks English and that your parents can call to discuss this? If so, I would suggest that this is a situation where making an overseas call is appropriate!

les_sylphides_

Yes, I agree. You need to visit the school especially since it's so far away and you will be staying there alone! Again, why will you not consider a school in the U.S? There is without doubt equitable training and it would be a whole lot less stress and uncertainty on the part of yourself and your family!

For anybody who was wondering, here is the website that describes the school:

http://www.wiener-staatsoper.at/Content.No...inder/201_1.php

Snooty Tutu

Well, I got an email today stating that he will answer all my questions and that I can decide after that. I might be able to visit over the summer but the school will be out by then :D They have a three month "trial period" from Sept until Nov and both VSO and I will know whether we are a good match or not. It is so stressful making these life altering decisions over the course of several days. I think I'm starting to get grey hair and I am only 15 :cool2:

Dance_Scholar_London

Snooty, what made you (video)audition in the first place? :cool2:

Swanilda

There is a world of difference between American ballet and European ballet. Both are excellent, but both are different, and there are very real and legitimate reasons for choosing a European school over an American one (and vice versa). Vienna State Opera Ballet School is excellent. One of my partners went there and had an great technique, very well trained. He had nothing but good to say about the school and is now dancing in a very nice Austrian company. THere are many of their graduates in good companies (check company websites and read bios) and the vast majority of the Vienna State Opera trained there for at least some of their training. (which, when I saw them last year, is right up there with the best companies in the world. Their dancers are BEAUTIFUL, as is the Staatsoper). Vienna is a great city and the Austrians are lovely people. In my opinion, if your questions are answered to your satisfaction; it might be worth giving it the three months. Just my two cents.

Snooty Tutu

Thanks everybody for all your advice! I decided to audition there because I want to further my training at a European school that has a dorm and I know a couple of people who dance in the company. I was web surfing and I noticed you could send in a video and I said what the heck?

les_sylphides_

So what did you decide on ?! :shrug: