Ballet Talk for Dancers

Movies: Take The Lead

Just giving this moving a BIG thumbs up!!!

I watched it last weekend in a special preview.

Though neither ballroom dancing nor Hip Hop are my favorite styles of dance, this movie will be enjoyed by everyone.

Lessons on life.

A true story.

Inspiring.

I highly recommend this movie for parents and teens to watch and enjoy together.

Great music, dancing, and interesting story.

WendyMichelle

I second this opinion! My Mom and I went and saw it today and really enjoyed it. Unusual and intresting blends of the two styles in the dance sequences. Also, the majority of the "academy" dancers are pro ballroom dancers. :wink:

Tiny Dancer

Hi Everyone,

Would this be a good movie for an (almost) 12 year old girl that loves dance? I usually preview movies that are PG 13 such as this one, but I'm really busy right now.

What do you all think?

My DD and I went the night it opened, and we really liked this movie. If you want to see the real thing, check out "Mad Hot Ballroom" which highlights some of the real kids in this program. The dancing is not spectacular, but the documentary is full of heart and really showcases many of the wonderfuly reasons why we love that our kids dance, whatever the genre. The DVD is not too hard to find; I actually bought our copy at Walmarts. Also, if you want to see some truly breathtaking ballroom, find a copy of "Baryshnikov Dances Sinatra," choreography courtesy of Tharp.

Tiny Dancer,

I don't know if I would have approved this movie for my daughter at 11, but I am definitely more conservative than most on the subject of movies. There is a lot of language, some sexuality - a little gang related violence. One of the girl's mother is a prostitue and the teenage girl gets propositioned and then almost attacked by a visiting "customer".

That said, it really is a great movie for speaking to the importance of the arts in students life, and just plain fun to watch. My older daughter and I enjoyed it very much!

Tiny Dancer

Thanks Mom 1.

I think I'll treat this movie like all these other great dance movies...I have to wait until they come out on DVD and edit as we watch. I loved Billy Elliott but had the same issue with language, violence and sexuality themes in that movie.

I however, can't wait, and love that male lead so local theatre here I come!!!

My 16 yr. old son & his 17 yr. old friend saw the movie and loved it! I haven't seen it yet, but probably will because of his recommendation.

Tiny Dancer,

I don't know if I would have approved this movie for my daughter at 11, but I am definitely more conservative than most on the subject of movies.

Hi Mom1,

Thanks so much for posting your perspective on this movie. After reading the reviews, and your input, we are taking our teens and leaving the younger ones at home. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

TC

Tiny Dancer,

I don't know if I would have approved this movie for my daughter at 11, but I am definitely more conservative than most on the subject of movies.

Hi Mom1,

Thanks so much for posting your perspective on this movie. After reading the reviews, and your input, we are taking our teens and leaving the younger ones at home. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

TC

TC,

Depending on the age of the younger ones, of course, might this plan not cause considerable resentment on the part of the ones left behind and perhaps set up some sibling rivalry, as well?

Lois

I saw this movie on Saturday and I LOVED it! I highly recommend it too! It was funny, entertaining, and had a great storyline. I do agree, the "gang violence" stuff was a bit scary though.

~Fairy

Ed McPherson

I really enjoyed Take the Lead as well. They did some great stuff with todays editing technology, really played to the dancing and used the movement to its advantage.

I really enjoyed this movie, its not a 'slow movie' which seems to happen sometimes with dance movies. The dancing looked great and its neat that its a true story. Heartwarming. :)

I loved the movie. I dragged my bf to it and he ended up likeing it as well. The song at the end dance scene is one of my favorite current The music was awsome but I loved the way they blended new with old the most

drives2much

I went to see this movie with a friend last night, and we both enjoyed it from start to finish. This film does move at a quick clip....it was very well done. I believe that it should do well at the box office as it seems to have a broad appeal from different angles and will interest a wide audience. Hopefully this will be the case since most often the box office rules what types of movies are made in the future.