Ballet Talk for Dancers

FOOT CRAMPS!

kasaba

Having tried all this stuff (well, almost all . . . not into the ice bottle thing), I find that the extra warmup time helps a LOT. Also, I'm working on the sickle with that exercise in the other forum. But you mentioned the way you point your toes, and now I'm wondering if I'm pointing my toes wrong. My big toe curves upward even though I'm pushing the others down HARD. I don't know if it's a structural thing or what. :blink:

There was some great advice given here - the tennis ball one was new to me and it's fantastic! There are two elements of pointing, the bit that happens from ankles (and higher) through the foot, and then what the toes are doing at the end. I think getting the leg turned out and the foot pointed is more important to start with than worrying about your toes, because otherwise you can end up clenching the toes without actually having a well-pointed foot. One of my teachers used to correct us by gently tapping or pinching the outer part of our ankles to give us the right feeling. Really warming up the feet does make this easier!

TemptressToo

This is a little odd, but it works. If my foot feels "tight" and or pre-crampy...I actually step on it. I step and press and sort of rotate my foot (extra bonus ankle warm-up). It is like a deep tissue massage with just enough pressure to stop the cramping.

I usually do this before the first couple combinations while the teacher is marking/telling us what to do. I listen and watch her, all the while stepping on my own foot as needed.

Granted, this is all done in flats, not pointe shoes.

You'd be surprised how good it feels (BTW, I also increase my potassium taking supplimental tablets about a half hour before class).

• 3 months later...
Guest Doomwookie
This is a little odd, but it works. If my foot feels "tight" and or pre-crampy...I actually step on it. I step and press and sort of rotate my foot (extra bonus ankle warm-up). It is like a deep tissue massage with just enough pressure to stop the cramping.

Throughout my life I've periodically had problems with my arches randomly seizing up, causing a cramp. It usually happens when I've been doing some heavier physical activity that I have usually been doing or if I stretch wrong. What TemptressToo recommends is a great way to get quick relief. If one of your arches seizes up, simply press the foot against a hard flat surface as hard as you can, and keep pressing tell the cramp completely goes away. It usually works better if you are standing and can put all your weight into it. This seems to force the arch to relax and usually resolves the problem in under 30 seconds. It is sometimes neccesary to take whatever shoes you are wearing off when you do this. But it is quick and it works.

I actually learned this from my dad, who I believe learned this from his dad. This problem seems to run in my family, but at least there is an easy solution.

Archived