Ballet Talk for Dancers

DVD/Videos: Don Q, Kirov

Guest ForeverSewingPointeShoes

My school is doing Don Quixote for our Spring performance. I was looking through my Don Q videos and I noticed in the Kirov version (with Farouk Ruzimatov and Tatyana Terekhova) that Tatyana does not do the variation with the fan in the grand pas de deux (with grande jetes and echappes) and she replaces it with another variation. All of the Don Q's I have seen always do the variation with the fan. Is her version unusual?

Also, does anyone know if in Nina Ananiashvili's Don Q video if she does a choreographically different pas de deux variation than that of the ABT or Kirov version?

I guess I am not terribly enthusiastic about the Cynthia Harvey version I have been told to memorize. Is there any way out? :D

even the fan variation has, well, many variations...check out the other ballet talk website and look under the ballet history forum...your question can be answered there...if not, place a post for solor....good luck!!!

Mel Johnson

I've never seen anybody do a grand jeté in the fan variation, but then variations are like used cars, you never know what a previous owner put into it. In the score to Don Quixote, the original score shows a different woman's variation from "The Fan" which latter is written out in the hand of Riccardo Drigo as an appendix at the back of the score. Anna Pavlova popularized the use of this variation in her touring version of the ballet and her vaudeville performances of the pas de deux alone with Laurent Novikoff and, later, Mikhail Mordkin. The taste for doing the fan variation filtered back through to Russia, and people began doing that one to the exclusion of the other, which was sort of held in reserve for interpolation in some other scene or ballet, as the "grand pas" from Paquita.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Many versions of the variation have changed the pas de chat to a saut de chat. It really is a lot more interesting :(

Mel Johnson

Oh, pas de chat jeté! Yes, that I've seen. I think Mia Slavenska used to do that.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Yes. Saut de chat is an incorrect term for that step, but, it is being used by everyone, so, I caved. Actually, it doesn't really have a name, but it is a grand jeté with a développé. Is that called pas de chat jeté in RAD?

Mel Johnson

Thank you for making me look it up! :( Actually, RAD calls it grand jeté developpé. Legat called it pas de chat jeté. It's different from the grand pas de chat Russe in that the latter starts with the front leg going out straight, bends inflight, then snaps straight again. As you know, a saut de chat is just an ordinary pas de chat that ends in retiré.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Right. I have no clue as to why that name has become the most common usuage for the grand jeté développé! :(

Mel Johnson

I think it had something to do with older editions of the Leo Kersley/Janet Sinclair Dictionary of Ballet Terms. It described the opening step of Paris' variation in David Lichine's "Helen of Troy" as being two balancés followed by a "saut de chat" and showed an illustration of a male dancer (who looked a lot like Leon Danielian) doing a pas de chat developpé, only the front leg hadn't done the developpé yet. That ballet passed out of the repertoire, and that citation and illustration are no longer part of the present edition of the book, but the old editions are still out there.

Well, whatever the term is, at least now we all know what we are talking about. Before I go spending the money on another Don Q video, does anyone know if the variation Nina Ananiashvili does in the grand pas de deux is different from the ABT version? I am tall and lanky and the if I did it the way Cynthia Harvey does I'd look kind of silly :innocent:

I believe Ananiashvili does do the variation with the fan. I'll check once I get home.