Ballet Talk for Dancers

Male teachers

JDA1

I am at a studio now. It is kind of far away and my parents are having problems transporting me there so we found anothere studio closer to home. My father went and meet the director. My mom doesn't like the studio because the director and teachers is a man. she says that girls my age shouldn't have men instructors in ballet.I was just wandering what you guys think?

olive

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• Victoria Leigh

• dancinpants

• JDA1

• Administrators

JDA1, there are male teachers teaching teen agers in every professional school I know! Usually they have both male and female teachers in the larger schools. But there is nothing wrong at all with a male teacher in ballet! I was trained in my early to mid teen years by a Russian male teacher! :innocent:

What is important is how GOOD the teacher is! No matter how far you have to drive, if you are serious about ballet, you must find the best teacher.

I've studied with fantastic male teachers. Sometimes male teachers have a better sense of humor than female teachers :innocent: And it shouldn't be strange that your director is male. There are male dancers too so why not male teachers? I think it is good to get a variety of male and female teachers, just as it is good to get a variety of different methods of ballet and ways of learning.

There is a female teacher there but she teaches the lower levels. I don't have a problem with being taught by a man its just my mother. I think she has an issue with my being touched by a male for like corrections and things, but when i was in gymnastics, most of my coaches were men.

JDA 1 training with a man, as a female student of ballet, should not present problems if the person is an upstanding, honest citizen who can be trusted with students of any gender. Teaching should not be a gender issue. It is an issue of being a good teacher or not. All parents should speak with the teachers of their children of any subject, ballet or mathematics. Families who get to know the teachers of their children will feel more secure with having that person in close proximity to their children. Children are parent's biggest accomplishment in life and therefore more valuable than anything else. Consider yourself fortunate that your parents are interested to speak with your ballet teacher. Hopefully once they get to trust him, your parents will feel more secure. If they do not feel secure with the situation you must trust their decision.

I was told once that I was not allowed to touch a student above the knees or above the elbow. I taught my next class with a cane. They didn't like that. I quit.

Yes I know she wants me to be safe the thing is that she does it escessivley especially in my dance. When I first started she complained about boys in my class and when it came time for rehearsals she complained about mydoing a few lifts with a guy.I will stay at my current studio if a problem comes up but i am moving up to the next level and the teacher is a man.

We had a guest teacher come in at my school. His name is Cedric Andrieux from Merce cunningham dance company. At first I was a little nervous about being taught by a male just because I didn't have experience with it, but after a short while I realized that there really was no difference and he was a really really good teacher :wink:

It may just take time for your mom to get used to it.

Guest emyjane

Dancers learn to respect their bodies and the bodies of other dancers (partners) very early on. A male teacher is a very important component to a dancer's development - male and female. Put your Mom's fears to rest by assuring her that have much to gain by having a male teacher.

I trained with females until I was twelve. Then, half my classes were, and still are, with male teachers. Please tell your mom it's normal & important for dancers to have teachers of both genders because they give such different perspectives. I've had male teachers give me physical corrections for years; all that happened is -I got stronger! Some of the strictest-and funniest-teachers are men!

My mum was also in the same position.

She for some reason thought that he would be "looking" at us girls in the wrong way. My mum is very old fashioned, and believes that girls should be taught by girls, and men taught by men. I went to a summer intensive in the U.S.A., where I had a male teacher, and when my mum came for the recital, she was pleased with our instruction.

Now, she lets me take classes wth the male instructor, and I feel I get a better class!

Hope I helped,

Ryan Emma

A good teacher is a good teacher. Unless your a teacher is touching your private parts, hands on corrections are very important. And it is good practice for having partners. For lifts, guys sometimes have to hold and lift you up sideways from your inner thighs. The only thing male teachers are concerned about when they are teaching is...teaching ballet!

I've talked to my mom and she is a little more willing. SH ewill probably try to sit in on the first few classes or somting though but thats okay.Thanks for all of you guys help!!!

Love you all!

olive

• 9 months later...

I've found that my male teacher gives me better corrections and more help when I'm struggling than any teacher I've had. My dad used to be uncomfortable with the fact that he was teaching teen girls wearing very little clothing, but I think that after he's seen how much I've improved, and that I haven't had a single complaint, he's perfectly fine with it.

Male teachers are essential in my mind to gain a different perspective on technique and they can be especially helpful in jumps and turns. Just like a school teacher, they are there to teach you not anything else. The director ssshould have taken every precaution to ensure that the teacher is professional male or female