Ballet Talk for Dancers

Assemble difficulty in between dance variation (Pre-inter)

Guest dancerlover

Guest dancerlover

I realised that I am unable to accomplish the assemble movement in the middle of the dance variation of in between tombe etc for Pre-elementary. Does anyone have this problem? All in all I realised that my assembles, glissades are generally weak so I have a strong gut feel that a C is problem in for me if I were to take exams this year :P I just find it difficult to master the strength to go low to essemble in my working feet in midst of the dance!

• Administrators

dancerlover, I don't know exactly what you are talking about in terms of the variation, however glissades and assemblés are simply basic steps that need to be practiced a great deal in order to achieve. The use of a clean 5th position and a good demi plié are essential. Practice the glissades alone, then practice the assemblé alone, and then practice connecting them. :P

Guest dancerlover

Ms. Leigh

Its just that I am generally weak in assembles; there is a part of the dance variation which has an assemble in middle of it for pre-inter; I am not sure if the teacher demo-ed it correctly, because the entire dance for me when I am executing it looks " jagged" when it touches the assemble portion. Thanks

Hi dancerlover,

I have this problem as well. Anything that involves a sissone assemble, or glissade assemble.....my mind completely shuts down. It's honestly like when my mind hears those words it immediately instructs my legs to be cemented to the floor.

A related question, Ms. Leigh..........one of my teachers tells me that my glissades and sissones look the same. Is a glissade a traveling step, like "over", whereas a sissone would more "up"? What can I do to even get myself pointed in the right direction so my body doesn't freeze up everytime we do this in class? Is this a mental block or something?

A sissonne is a jump from two feet to one foot. It can be sur place, or move somewhat. A glissade always moves. The latter usually goes from two feet and ends on two feet, but there are exceptions.

Mel..........the lightbulb went off! Honestly, I think I just learned what I needed in order to do these things. Thank you.

Guest pink tights

W-M, For a visual, look at the ABT video dictionary. It's a good resource, along with a Gail Grant. I consider it a must for any dance student, young or old.

Guest dancerlover

Hi dancerlover,

I have this problem as well. Anything that involves a sissone assemble, or glissade assemble.....my mind completely shuts down. It's honestly like when my mind hears those words it immediately instructs my legs to be cemented to the floor.

Wendy,

I was begining to wonder whether I was unable to perform the steps because I do not know it or is it "mental blockage" related. Since you brought it up, likewise my feet stays cemented prior to this silly movement which I already know. Myabe I am just unable to find the strenghth for it .... :D

Guest dancerlover

So yesterday was in class again when my stupid feet feels cemented just as we are suppose to spring out into a jump for assemble. It sounds stupid but I do really think that it is the mental block here. There is 3 girls in my class who can't seem to execute it well and I am ONE of them :)

Guest pink tights

Another great book: Basic Principles of Classical Ballet By Agrippina Vaganova. Check out the "Jumps" section. Perhaps if you understand the mechanics, you will be able to get past the mental block.

• 4 weeks later...
I am so damm mad at myself. I still can't do it. It seems that everyone is progressing except me grrrrr...........its a real mental block

Oh, goodness no, dancerlover, I am standing right there on the sidelines with you, lower lip quivering and sniffles starting :)

Right now I am struggling with the waltz turn. Everybody else just seemed to sail right into it, but it has taken me two weeks just to figure out the waltz step, and that turn just ain't happenin' yet. I have learned to see that as an interim goal -- after all, it's something I couldn't do two weeks ago! -- but I do feel really stupid sometimes (I also discovered, as I was watching, that NOT everybody is actually doing it right after all).

Fortunately my teacher is patient and kind, and takes the trouble to break it down just for me when she sees that "What the . . . ?" look on my face. She is wonderful; sometimes I think she teaches me more about teaching than about ballet!

Guest dancerlover

Kasaba,

Mental blocks are worst hurdles for adults to overcome. I realised that after "letting go" I was able to execute the steps "close" to what was required but once I forget to let go the mental block comes again.