Ballet Talk for Dancers

Can you wash canvas slippers?

WendyMichelle

And if so, what cycle? Obviously no putting them in the dryer though! :ermm:

I've never had much luck washing ballet slippers. You can do it but they're just not the same. Luckily they're not as expensive as pointe shoes to replace!

I have machine-washed my canvas Sansha Pro 1s: I use warm, and then hang dry with no deleterious effect. I used to do this when they started to smell, but this happened only once in their lifetime since the toes would rip before they got too smelly again. Nowadays, I stuff them with cloth bags of cedar wood (found at Discount Dance or more cheaply at OSH --- Orchard Supply Hardware), and they rip before they start smelling really badly, so I haven't washed one recently.

--Andre

I tried washing a pair once and they disintegrated in the washer even though I used cold water and a gentle cycle.

I wash my slippers in the washing machine all the time, and have had no problems. :o From some models the inner sole detaches as the glue goes soft, but I just rip it off and continue using the shoes and they are quite ok then. After wash they are a bit tight and hard, but about 15 mins on my feet and they are just normal. I just throw them in with my regular every day washing.

With the way my feet sweat I'd have to buy a new pair every two weeks if I did not wash them. :green: I've worn Sansha, Capezio, one local model, and one other the name of which I forget. :rolleyes:

I've put my daughter's Sansha Pro canvas slippers in the washer AND the dryer numerous times with no ill effects.

I put the shoes in a lingerie bag and put them in with the rest of the wash (sheets would be a good load).

I've put them in either warm or cold water and dry them on low.

I put mine through the washer and dryer all the time, perm press, and they're fine (Bloch Pump canvas)

I accidentally put my Leo's half leather/half stretchy slippers thru the washer and dryer and they came out fine. Not something I'd do on a regular basis, but they did look and smell better.

I put mine through the washer and dryer all the time, perm press, and they're fine (Bloch Pump canvas)

Same brand here, though I skip the dryer. :D

I wash mine too - one Sansha and one Bloch pair (can't remember the model numbers). If you can bear it, the best place I find for them to dry is on my feet (not ideal in winter!! :yes: ) - then they mould perfectly to the shape of my foot and are even more comfortable than in the first place. A bit like that Levi jeans ad I suppose ... :cool2:

I am glad this subject came up. The first time I tried to wash dd's canvas flats in the washer, then dryer, the shrunk! I will give this another try with some of the suggestions on here. Maybe just let them air dry...however I think I will need to buy her more ballet slippers, because they won't dry in time to wear the next day. :shrug:

My Grishko slippers wash pretty well too if you do not care about discoloration- my black ones turned to grayish black after delicate cycle but my white ones stayed pretty much OK.

The shoes come out very tight and hard so I stretch them out by putting them on my feet and dancing a little when they are still damp.