Ballet Talk for Dancers
littleicklandgirl

Ballet Schools in Virginia - Manassas area

Solnishka79

Have you checked Academy of Russian Ballet? They're new and cater to students. I have experienced both schools in Manassas, PM me if you need more info.

momto2ballerinas

Hello,

I hope I posted this in the right place! Has anyone heard about this studio? It's vaganova based and my daughters really want to switch to a method like this. I'm unfamiliar with it and was hoping some locals could advise me. Thank you. :)

ETA: I'm talking about Manassas Ballet Academy. When the mods moved my question, the title to my thread was lost. Thanks!

Philip

Personally, I recommend Ballet Nikitenko. The afforementioned facility has a history of hemorrhaging dancers from their semi-professional company and their school. I was on staff there at one time. Last week, there was an article in a local paper regarding misappropriation of funds by a board member and director who is also a city councilman in conflict with distribution of arts funding. If I can find it, I'll post a link. Ah, here it is: http://www.insidenova.com/news/local/manassas/manassas-non-profit-funding-sparks-debate/article_bde44052-e8a3-11e2-86f8-0019bb2963f4.html

This link aside, I prefer not to get into negative gossip talk on Ballettalk, despite the amount of knowledge and facts I know regarding any intitution. It does no one any good, disturbs the right of any organization to exist, regardless of what we think of them or how they run their business....besides, it's against the rules on a moderated forum like this.

Suffice it to say, one of the good things this company has consistently done is hire American, Russian and Eastern European dancers and teachers, all of whom are Vaganova trained. ....most of whom, soon there after, leave to form their own schools. This is why I recommend Academy of Russian Ballet if you are in Manassas. Here is their link: BalletNikitenko.com Academy of Russian Ballet~8840A Rixlew Lane~ Manassas, VA~ 20109

Solnishka79

Plus ARB has had two students invited to study at the Bolshoi Academy in Moscow. No other studio in the area has had even one accepted.

momto2ballerinas

Thank you for the replies! It sounds like Manassas Ballet Academy isn't too wonderful of a school. My DD13 is very driven and determined. She wants so badly to receive good, vaganova based training.

It appears that the Academy of Russian Ballet in Manassas is a better studio, I've received several messages recommending them! Thank you :)