Ballet Talk for Dancers

Adult summer school in London

katrinafsmith

Chelsea Ballet adult summer school

Chelsea Ballet – a well-established amateur ballet company – is pleased to announce that it will be running a week-long summer school in London on 7-11 August 2006. The course is open to anyone, male or female, over the age of 18 with an elementary standard of ballet who would like the chance to work on technique, performance quality and repertoire in a friendly and supportive environment.

Classes will run all day from 10 a.m., with an optional workshop-style performance on the final afternoon. The course content is yet to be finalised, but will include general ballet class, pointe work, pas de deux, repertoire and pilates. The teachers – also subject to confirmation – will include Louise Hudson (Artistic Director of Chelsea Ballet), Michael Branwell (Harlow Ballet Association, Morley College), Karen Slade-Pluck (Laban, Morley College) and Carey Hemsley (has run schools in Bermuda, Canada and Ealing).

We will be using the studios, which offer sprung wooden floors and full-length mirrors, at Ravenscourt Theatre School, Galena Road, London W6 0LT. The venue is conveniently located just off of Hammersmith’s main shopping street, between Ravenscourt Park (District line) and Hammersmith (District, Piccadilly and Hammersmith & City lines) tube stations.

The cost will be £125 for the five-day course. To book your place or obtain further details, please contact Louise Hudson on chelseaballet@tiscali.co.uk or tel. +44 (0)20 8961 0159. A non-refundable deposit of £25 will be required.

To learn more about Chelsea Ballet, visit our website, www.chelsea-ballet.com. You can also post your questions here.

Katrina

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cassy

• katrinafsmith

• Dance_Scholar_London

• Tara7038

Great news :blushing: We've been bemoaning the lack of an adult summer school in the UK for years, and now we have one :) Just gotta check those dates - bound to clash with something at work... :thumbsup:

I agree, thanks for the information Katrina, will beginners be welcome?

I have only been training for 1 and a half years? :)

This came a week too late for me, or maybe it was good that it came now.

I've just sent of my applicaiton to Richmond , which I'm actually really exited about, but I just saw that flights at the moment are about £500 to New York so will be a bit more expensive than I hoped, and it's the same week, so I can't do both.

I agree, thanks for the information Katrina, will beginners be welcome?

I have only been training for 1 and a half years? :)

Hi Cassy. Unfortunately we can't really cater to complete beginners (although obviously you're not a total novice if you've been dancing for 18 months). If you have been dancing regularly in that time and would like to discuss your individual circumstances, then please do get in touch with Louise on the contact details given. We're a friendly bunch!

Katrina,

I was wondering if there will be information available about nearby accomodation. Being that I live in North Yorkshire, I would obviously need to stay in London for the week. I am not terribly familiar with places to stay in that area!

Thanks!

That's great. Please feed back how it was :blushing:

Trying to improve: from 1st July, summer season starts and US flights are sometime up to 100% more expensive. Airfares will fall again in September

Katrina,

I was wondering if there will be information available about nearby accomodation. Being that I live in North Yorkshire, I would obviously need to stay in London for the week. I am not terribly familiar with places to stay in that area!

Thanks!

There's an Express by Holiday Inn just round from the corner (literally 1-2 minutes' walk away). It has rooms at £89/night including breakfast. That's for one or two people, so if you could bring a friend then it wouldn't be too bad. We could also try to pair you up with anyone else in the same situation if you want to keep the costs down, but no guarantees.

Shepherd's Bush Road, which is about 15 minutes' walk away, has lots of inexpensive B&Bs, but I don't know how salubrious they are!

• 4 weeks later...

Katrina!?!

We hung out a bit at ACD 05 - I've misplaced your email address (I'll look harder). I'd PM you but you aren't a full member yet (just became one myself). This adult camp in the UK sounds great!!! It's something I'd love to do next year - so I hope there's a good turnout this year to keep it going. Thanks for the link to the website! -K

Hi K

Great to hear from you! I'm pretty sure from the location and initial who you are - but I know some people on the site don't like to use their real names...

I haven't posted enough messages to get full membership yet, but if you can't find my email address you could always try contacting me through the Chelsea Ballet website. Glad you liked the site, by the way. Am dancing Swanhilda (Act I) this July, so had a headstart after the rep at ADC last year!

Incidentally, have you heard anything about the adult ballet dancers documentary that was being filmed at Richmond last year? Would be curious to see how it turned out.

Katrina

Wow I'd absolutely love to do this. My brother is getting married in August though, so if this doesn't clash with the week he is getting married I'll be there...with pointes on :D

• 2 months later...

Wahoo I'm going too!!

Got my details last night, can't wait!

Fish