Ballet Talk for Dancers

stretches for splits

Guest waytoshop

Guest waytoshop

I can do right splits, but my left are giving me trouble.

I stretch everyday, the one where you sit on the floor and bend your front leg while keeping your back leg straight on the ground, to make my left splits better, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Does anyone have and stretch that would help achieve splits? It would be much appreciated, and I'm sorry if the description of my stretch didn't make sense, it's kind of awkward to explain.

• Administrators

Hello waytoshop, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :)

Splits are the stretch for splits :wink: Seriously, that is what they are for, stretching! So, you achieve splits by working on splits, and do it after barre and after classes, when you are the most warmed up. :)

If this post is not allowed,please delete...when I couldn't do the left split,I would bend my back leg,then stretch my front leg to the front,then,trying to keep the front leg as close to the ground as possible, stretch your back leg out(but the front leg has to stay as close to the ground as possible!)I am sorry if I am giving advice,it just seemed to work for me. :wink:

Nutmegdancer :innocent:

• Administrators

Yes, but my point is, and has been, on endless numbers of posts about this, that splits in themselves are just not important. Who cares if you can "do" a split or not? It is not part of the ballet vocabulary. It is a stretch to aid flexibility for other things, like arabesques and all extensions.

Who cares if you can "do" a split or not? It is not part of the ballet vocabulary. It is a stretch to aid flexibility for other things, like arabesques and all extensions.

I have a question then,Ms.Leigh,what about splits in the air?isn't the whole point of splits on the ground,for future splits in the air? :shrug:

Nutmegdancer :D

• Administrators

Not at all the whole point, as I said above, Nutmegdancer. They are for gaining the flexibility for all things involving extension, which would include grand jetés. However, there are many students who can "do" splits on the ground and still cannot carry that into the air, or even sometimes into well placed and rotated high extensions in développés. There are other factors involved in extensions and jumps, like strength for instance, and the ability to move well and jump high enough to extend the legs all the way.

Ms. Leigh, maybe we need a sticky which states:

Splits are stretches, to stretch spilts you must do a split.

It's just that there are so many of these posts and they get to be irritating. :D

Thats so funny! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest waytoshop
Yes, but my point is, and has been, on endless numbers of posts about this, that splits in themselves are just not important. Who cares if you can "do" a split or not? It is not part of the ballet vocabulary. It is a stretch to aid flexibility for other things, like arabesques and all extensions.

in addition to taking ballet in a studio, i'm in color guard at my high school, and our instructor is putting a lot of emphasis on being able to do left and right splits, so that's mainly what that was for.

The only thing for splits is to warm up properly, then do a split. I cannot overstate the importance of the former condition. Now maybe if this board were called "Split talk for Colorguarders" there might be some different answers, but that's the only way ballet dancers know to increase facility in splits.

• Administrators

It's relatively irrelevant. Splits are for the purpose of stretching, and not a "step" in the ballet vocabulary.