Ballet Talk for Dancers

Jet glue disaster

dance for me

Mel Johnson

If you wonder about whether it will affect the garment, make a small test patch on an unobtrusive area of the fabric, and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mel Johnson

• dixie

• bflo

• lampwick

That jet glue is a dangerous thing. The jet glue spilled in my DD locker at dance, and glued her character shoes to the locker. When we finally ripped the shoes out of the locker, the bottom of the locker was stuck permanently to the shoe. Guess you know where those shoes went, not to mention the locker!!

jimpickles

And if its stuck on your skin (unless you are glued to the bottle, several beads, the bottom of the locker, etc) I suggest you just leave it rather than picking at it. Skin grows so fast that the top layer will have renewed itself within 24 hours, and hey presto! - no more jet glue!

Jim.

Guest DelBocaVista

My DD has had this strange reaction from Jet Glue a few times which I would have not believed had I not witnessed it myself. When the glue was applied to the pointe shoe actual smoke rose up from the shoe. :)

Has anyone else had this happen? In case you are wondering it does not seem to harm the shoes, but they do get very hot to the touch for a moment. I was just afraid that they might burst into flames!

dancemaven

The first time I applied jet glue to my daughter's shoes (we had only the technique class-time for the shoes to be ready, so I did it), I didn't really know what to expect. I used *alot** of glue--all over the box (but at least I did it inside :P ). The shoe did smoke and get quite warm. I thought, "Wow, I guess they mean it when they say 'well-ventilated' area!" It was abit overpowering.

Turns out, I did it all wrong. The store manager had told me to jet glue the shoes before she wore them because she was going through them in about 1/2 a class. I had no idea how to do it properly. Man! Those shoes were hard as bricks when I got through with them!!!! She wore them one, maybe two classes and began having issues with her achilles. Her teacher said she thought the shoes were contributing since they were so hard. So, another pair (well-preserved) bit the dust. After that, DD said SHE'D handle the jet-gluing! :)

Mel Johnson

They won't get that hot, and what you're seeing is not the fabric of the shoe going up in smoke. It's mostly steam, from both the water in the shoe and the solvent from the glue going off as vapors. In the process of drying, cyanoacrylate (Jet Glue) does produce an exothermic reaction - that is, it heats up.

In case you ever "get stuck" to something like the floor, or heavy furniture that's just too big to drag around with you for 24 hours or other, carry a bottle of acetone-based nail polish remover in your dance bag. For inanimate objects like the shoes themselves coming away with locker residue on them, full-strength acetone will work fine. Just work with it in a well-ventilated area. Don't be surprised if it skuzzes up the satin, though. Acetone is a specific solvent for acetate satin, too.

But who wants to start the nail polish remover disaster thread? :jawdrop:

• 4 weeks later...

SOLUTION (since Jet Glue must travel from the fridge):

This may not save the jet glue, but may save your clothes. After you wrap the jet glue in a plastic bag, put it inside a HARD eyeglass case that is large enough to fit the bottle.

PS...liked the Chemistry portion of your email Mel! (...and the instant ice packs work because of an endothermic reaction... :thumbsup: )

• 5 years later...

Will acetone ruin the satin on the pointe shoe, though? I was a little over-zealous in applying and the glue soaked through the satin -- now I have a bunch of hard, crusty areas on the front of my shoe. Doesn't affect functionality, but it is unsightly</p>

Acetone will ruin the shoe! It will destroy the glue as well as the glues that the manufacturer used.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, alarery!!!!! Sorry you had to find us with such an emergency. Can you use a bit of Kryolan pointe Shoe make-up to help? You can get it at Discount Dance and Dance Distributors.

Dualdancers

Will acetone ruin the satin on the pointe shoe, though? I was a little over-zealous in applying and the glue soaked through the satin -- now I have a bunch of hard, crusty areas on the front of my shoe. Doesn't affect functionality, but it is unsightly</p>

I saw this post, and I'm responding despite my correct place is in the parents of under 13 forum. We had this same mishap, and I used a regular nail file to "file" down the hard crusty areas.

This thread makes me laugh. We are getting ready to sell an SUV that we've had for many years. My husband reminded me that one of the "less than desirable" issues with the car is the JetGlue stain from many years ago in the back seat. It is still as stiff and shiny as the day it happened!

My daughter applied jet glue to the inside of her Bloch pointe shoes. Her particular style has a small white foam pad on the inside of the shoe. It appears the foam did not react well with the jet glue since it kind of shriveled up and now looks like a very hard piece of white chewing gum inside the shoe. Does anybody have any idea how to remove it? Filing won't work since it is inside the shoe...

I was able to chip most of it out with an awl, but I also used the dremel to smooth things out. What a great idea bflo! Thanks!