Ballet Talk for Dancers

Hydration during summer months

yankee

As the weather changes and the temperatures rise, the studio spaces are becoming stuffy (even with the windows open).

Although a brief water break is given during each 1.5 - 2 hour class, how many ounces of water are recommended immediately following a class (assuming that the water break is so brief that the dancer only takes in a couple of ounces)?

Is it right to assume that even if the student is not particularly thirsty after class, they should be sure to consume, maybe, an additional 8-ounce bottle of water?

The demands of dancing combined with hot weather must certainly necessitate a particular level of rehydration. Are there any specific recommendations given by teachers during the summer months?

On a more personal note, my DD ends up looking mighty pink which occasionally concerns me (hence the inquiry).

Guest pink tights

I pack a water bottle in dd's bag (it has a handy mesh pocket on the outside). Of course, too much water at one time can make you feel sicky.

We discussed this last year regarding SI's. Would they allow water in the sturio. We were lucky, both my daughters took their very large bottles into class daily and refilled them during the day. Obvioulsly, at our studio water bottles are allowed and on hot days they are emptied. Even in the winter they are emptied. The very little girls are the only ones who don't have water bottles and it's probably because they don'tfeel the need yet. Is their any chance of appealing to you dance studio to rethink their water policy. To glug water at the end of class always made me want to throw up rather than rehydrate. If your on a long hike in the desert, mountains or even in rolling green hills, you don't wait to drink until you get back and feeling ill. You take water with you, it's essential.

Has anyone tried those water bottles that have the built-in filter? Something like this: Aquasana I'm thinking that it would be nice for dd to bring this type of water bottle to her SI. She can refill it from any faucet and still have filtered water. I'd love to hear from anyone to has tried this type of bottle. Pros/Cons?

Knock Knock-parent of over 13 DD

At parent observation a few weeks ago, I sat next to a Russian grandmother who almost jumped out of her skin when DD started to drink from her water bottle. She said to me, "No, she should never drink water during class, it is bad for her." My husband seated on my other side who is an exercise fanatic and calculates not only fluid replacement but also carb and protein needs during intense exercise insists that DD take water into class and replenish when necessary. I was really glad she was on his dear ear side or a mighty discussion might have ensued. Anyone out there know if Russian training prohibited water or is this simply a "grandmom" thing?

Our non DS was required by his dad to rehydrate at night following those terribly hot and humid August football practices. He used a camel back and sipped while lying on the sofa in the evening. While a few other kids made unscheduled visits to the hospital for dehydration, ours was still out in the field practicing. I do think coming well hydrated to class is a real key!

It's interesting, the grandmom's DK does not bring water to class but then asks the other DK's for sips from their water bottles.....I think this is probably less healthy. For DD''s part she will continue to rehydrate before, during and after class.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments.

I will continue to encourage my daughter to go to class hydrated, with water (whenever possible) and to rehydrate after (at a pace that will help her avoid feeling sick). Replenishing after (or between) classes with fruit is a great idea too.

Thanks, Babsaroo, the Dance Magazine article makes reference to water volume, fruit, Pediolyte and Emergen-C among a few other healthy recommendations.

I am grateful to have this list for my baseball and soccer players as well!

Sorry, swanchat! I meant to comment on your post.

My dd has a teacher who, as a Florida resident and ballet student years ago, trained at a school that discouraged water consumption and breaks during class. It was horrifying to hear that students fainted and showed other signs of heat prostration yet the policy wasn't changed (although it has probably since been revised for obvious health and liability reasons).

We have used Brita water filters which are similiar to the Aquasana. The literature states their life is approximately 15 gallons. Water filters seem to be a personal preference. My son says they give a worse taste, my daughter can't tell the difference.

Pink Tights - great reminder to have grapes, tomatoes and fruit handy.

Swanchat - I hadn't thought of the camel bag. I associate those with cycling and mountain climbing. My son learned the hard way that hydration is essential. One of the first hot days this Spring, my son became ill during athletics. He had a severe headache and began vomiting during class. That's all it took. He now is very careful about staying hydrated all day long and hasn't had a problem since that day. I'm going to recommend the camel bags to the coaches and moms at our parent meeting. Having a new "tool' or gadget is often just the trick to get kids to do something that can seem boring.

Pasdetrois - good points. Thanks

I always remind my students to look at the color of their urine each time they go to the bathroom. They roll their eyes but it's a great indicator and a easy reminder. "Paler than lemonade or you'll need first aid". Silly I know but it works, or at least gets a giggle. :blink:

The link to the ISU Fluid Replacement Guidelines wasn't working. I have hopefully fixed it. It's a good site.

Sorry about this.

Babaroo

Babsaroo,

The connection to the ISU page is fine now. It is very informative (I've bookmarked it for later reference).

* * * For anyone who may be interested, the info is pertinent to all athletic activities.

Thank you for your help.

I think hydrating, rehydrating, and pre-hydrating are all good things. But historically, yes, dancers were not allowed to drink during class. I grew up in Florida in the 60's with no AC and we were not allowed to drink during class (but most managed to "sneak" out at some point during class to get a sip from the water fountain). In the 70's when I trained in NYC we were not allowed to drink during class. It was mainly a matter of discipline and training. It's hot on stage and when you are in the corps of Act II Swan Lake standing, you are not allowed to run off for a water break! I think that's why it's good to train yourself to pre-hydrate. I never drink while I am teaching (with no AC) because old disciplinary habits die hard. But I allow people taking my class to hydrate because - well - times they are achanging.

oyoyoyoyoy - pre-hydrating before going out on stage is great advice. I think this would even benefit the students at my children's primary academy who present staged choral programs twice a year (especially for my son who's knees start to buckle toward the end).

• 2 months later...

Drinking water is good but not the only option.

Pharmacists now stock mineral water sprays which help hydrate the skin and avoid

spotty problems for teenagers.