Ballet Talk for Dancers
Susanne

Have to be logged in?

Susanne

I am just asking this out of curiousity. Lately, I've noticed that I can't read threads unless they're written by someone who is "unregistered" if I am not logged in? Not only the protected forums, but all the forums? Is there a reason for this? How will not registered members know those tricks about registering if they can't read the information? I can't find any announcement about it (probably it is one, but I just have been unable to find it :blushing: )

Victoria Leigh

Suzanne, people who are not registered cannot post, so you are not reading posts made by non-members! There are some forums which are restricted to members, and therefore you need to be logged in to read them. Most of the forums can be read without logging in. Visitors are able to see all of the information that they need, and read a lot of the forums. :blushing:

Susanne

Unless I am not logged in, I cannot even see this thread?

I just thought it was a bit odd since there are some instructions about how to register that I can't even see if not logged in? So how can a new member know how to register if they can't see the instructions?

In fact, the only thing I've seen when not logged are those posts by "unregistered" members.

TutuMaker

If I log out and try to view threads, the only ones I can view are very old. For example if I try to view the current thread from the Pro Shop, I get an error message, but if I click on the Pro Shop thread title, only very old topics come up. The first one by "Barb", a user who is apparently no longer registered. The only way I can view current topics in any thread, is to be logged in.

Victoria Leigh

Susanne, I really don't know what you are seeing, but there are NO posts from unregistered members. There are new members and members, but people not registered cannot post.

I also do not know why you can't read things without being logged on, but, as I said, visitors are able to read the information they need and also many of the forums before they register. They cannot post, however.

Tutumaker, this has been addressed before, in another thread, and Mel will have to respond to this when he returns tonight, as I thought it had been resolved. It happened with the last board update. I will leave a message for him to check this out, as he is our "tech guru".

Susanne
Susanne, I really don't know what you are seeing, but there are NO posts from unregistered members. There are new members and members, but people not registered cannot post.

I also do not know why you can't read things without being logged on, but, as I said, visitors are able to read the information they need and also many of the forums before they register. They cannot post, however.

Tutumaker, this has been addressed before, in another thread, and Mel will have to respond to this when he returns tonight, as I thought it had been resolved. It happened with the last board update. I will leave a message for him to check this out, as he is our "tech guru".

If you logout and check under the adult dancers board, you will see somebody called Duraine Dancer and somebody called Alekis. Both are said to be "unregistered". As I said, it is impossible for me to see this thread or any instructions, welcomings to the board unless I am logged in.

Treefrog

The board is definitely doing something weird. Susanne has described it pretty well: if you log out, and then click on one of the forum headings, it either shows "no topics" or only threads from no later than December 2005 that were started by people who were members at one time, but have been unregistered by the moderators. This is for the forums that are open to general readers, like "Welcome" and "How to do things".

Victoria Leigh

Okay, now I know why you are seeing posts from "unregistered" people. They are people who were registered, and had some problems with our rules, and they were "unregistered" by either Mel or me. :offtopic:

As to the not logged in people not seeing what they should, Mel will address that when he gets home. This is a serious problem, and thank you for bringing it to our attention. Since I am always logged in, I do not see these problems.

Mel Johnson

I sent in a ticket on this a month ago, and thought it had been corrected. I'll have to make and send another.

LadyR

Same thing here. I still cannot read anything unless I'm logged in.

Mel Johnson

I've logged a ticket, but I have one question: Why do people find it so onerous to log in? Is it too much trouble?

Guest tutuonmymind

Logging in is not so bad. The fact that some of the forums could not be read unless you were a member pushed me over the edge. It's not so bad coming out into the open now. :firedevil:

LadyR

Nope. No trouble really. Sometimes I might post and just like to pop in quickly to see if there is a post answering mine. It would be quicker if I didn't have to log in every time, but no trouble. I'm just getting lazy. :firedevil:

Victoria Leigh

I'm not at all concerned about people who don't log in, because they CAN log in. My concern is totally what visitors see.

Mel Johnson

Me too.