Ballet Talk for Dancers

Hey how do I stop my ankle from hurting

Guest Dancerfreak

Guest Dancerfreak

I hurt my ankle in ballet yesterday and it hurts so bad my friend said to put it in ice water but it makes it hurt worse... Someone help me get back on track because I have a competition next weekend and I have a solo in it that no one else knows help!!! :angry::)

Hello dancerfreak, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :)

First aid for any soft tissue damage such as you describe is always the same: RICE. This acronym stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Rest means just that. Rest the foot whenever you can. No dance class, no track, no unnecessary running. Ice refers to a cold compress, not an immersion in ice water, if that's what's causing you pain. You do it for about 15-20 minutes. Use an icebag. Compression means tie the affected area up in an elastic bandage. You can still apply the cold through the bandage. And elevation has you putting the foot up so that blood can circulate freely through it, rather than pool from gravity. If there isn't a significant improvement in 72 hours, then go to the doctor.