Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Classes In Los Angeles

Guest Rachelrb

Guest Rachelrb

Hello,

I am a parent of a six year old daughter, that has been talking about being a ballerina for over a year. I have never taken a dance class, and don't know much about ballet. I am interested in finding her a location to learn. We live in Los Angeles.

My only problem is that I do not have a car and must take public transportation. I have found a few locations that are not in Los Angeles. They are too far for us to commute on the bus.

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated. :D

What area of Los Angeles (and do you mean the city, the county, unincorporated areas...)?

If finances are tight, the City of Angels Ballet offers classes to all of it's children for free. They have two beginning classes on Mondays in the afternoon and early evening. Older children take classes Tuesday through Friday. There is no audition but you need to have permission from the artistic director. Usually they only offer places to kids who come to the program through their outreach program in LAUSD schools. However, if a child is interested enough and their body is right (not meaning thin or anything, they look at feet, knees and hips to ensure they can handle the physical demands of the training), then they'll allow kids from outside the schools to enter the program.

CAB is located in Silverlake, close to downtown and not far from Hollywood.

They've got kids from all over LA but mostly from the inner-city area. Many of them car-pool or work out group travel arrangements.

It's probably the best training in LA but few people know about it because they've got a pretty low profile. They're coming up on the end of their year, so this may not be the best time to get in, but they offer a summer program (free as well). Ask the director about it. The web site link above has all the information you need to contact them.

Good luck.

Guest Rachelrb

Thank you for all of your help.

I have an appointment next Tuesday with Mario at the City of Angeles Ballet. Mario said the appointment is to look at my daughters feet and ankles. Then she could possibly start next year because she is too young. I am also glad to say they have scholarships for people who have the need.

I have also checked out the LA Ballet Academy. They also seem like a nice place, I am checking them out on Thursday. They would allow her to start classes now. Two classes a week, that seems like a lot, but one of the classes is a stretch class.

Again thank you for all of your help!! :devil:

Another excellent pre-professional school is Marat Daukayev School of Ballet. They are at the corner of

La Brea and Wilshire, very easy to get to by bus as well as being across the street from the blue line station.

The website for more information: http://maratdaukayev.com

I have also checked out the LA Ballet Academy. They also seem like a nice place, I am checking them out on Thursday. They would allow her to start classes now. Two classes a week, that seems like a lot, but one of the classes is a stretch class.

Rachel I am pretty sure Los Angeles Ballet Academy is not taking any 6 year olds at this time of year. You have to enrol in August for the fall session. Or for the summer camp for the little ones. There arent any stretch classes for 6 year old either, only pilates mat for level 5 and up. (they are 11-12 year olds) You might want to go to their website at www.laballet.com and call or e mail with your questions. :wacko: