Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: SYTYCD Discussions 2006-2015

Looking at the big picture... This is what I see...

1. 3,000,000 people called in last week (topping American Idol's first year). This clearly shows that there is a growing public interest in dance.

2. Large viewership and increase of popularity will result in more kids signing up for dance classes this fall in dance schools across the USA.

3. The good teachers will inform these new parents and students that ballet should be taken in addition to the other styles of dance. This will eventually lead to higher enrollment in ballet programs.

4. I hate to mention this on this board, but (how shall I delicately put this....) LYRICAL classes will also increase in popularity due to the talented dancers on the show.

5. More money pouring in to the dance arts.

6. AND.... the Big Bonus.... MORE BOYS will be walking into dance schools to take classes. And this increased male dancer enrollment along with the national popularity and stardom on tv will possibly help decrease the stigma still attatched to men who dance.

:D

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• Victoria Leigh

• vagansmom

• trythis

ellebelle1988

Let's hope this happens, Mellisa!

On another note, Nick is my absolute favorite. He looks completely effortless when he dances. Some of the others did split leaps but none looked quite as graceful and certainly not as perfect or high as his. And, yes, of course, his turns are Amazing.

I agree with Skittl-Melody's solo contained too many tricks, which I know appeals to the audience, but, looking it from a technical standpoint, is not too pleasing...show me some technique!

Broke down and watched the show last night after dd saw it at a friend's house last week (where they are voting and watching regularly). My non-dancing husband was the one who surprised me, though, with his take on it. He said he could definitely see the appeal to the general public (after all the dancers are all attractive with at least enough stage presence to get your attention), but that he was unimpressed by their technique in general although some of them did appear to be well-trained. I guess he's picked something up from me after all!

Overall, we both enjoyed the ballroom pieces, but just didn't get the lyrical ones.

I like Jamile, and Nick is nice, also. Sorry, Blake, you're just too one-dimensional. (Is it just a strange coincidence that each of the past two weeks he's danced his specialty--lyrical???) Jamile really impressed me week before last when he danced the jive--he really carries himself well and seems to pick up the more difficult choreography quickly, even though the judges were harsh on his quick-step technique. Since watching this week's show, I've been thinking about how much each dancer's success every week depends quite literally on "the luck of the draw", both of partner and dance style to be performed. I've been less impressed overall with the female contestants--no one has really left me with the feeling that I wanted to see more. Sentimental favorite? Alan, the big guy. I don't see an ego (he just loves to dance :yes: ), but truthfully, I don't think he'll win it all.

Guest RetroDancer

I personally love blake, butdo agree that it would be good to see other styles of dance. As for Allan he annoys me so much. I know he's a sweet and nice guy and all, but this is a dance not a nicness competition. He also has danced his specialty both times, and we all no if he did something else he would be in trouble. We saw blake to other styles fine in hollywood but allan was a mess in the other classes. He's not nearly as good at hiphop as blake is at lyrical either. Ok I'm done. I also like Nick, Jamile(although not a hip hop fan he is really good) Mellisa Melody and Ryan.

If this contest is really about finding a "new" dance fenom....then I vote....all the way for Jamile. This kid has no formal training, hasn't been a competition circuit kid and hasn't had a red carpet laid down for him prior to this competition.

He is the real deal. He can do whatever is thrown at him and does it well. Exceptionally well.

That, to me, is what this competition is all about. Nick, Melody, Blake and the rest of the "professional" circuit dancers will do well and will probably make it as dancers somewhere in Hollywood.

Someone like Jamile, who has never been exposed to the lifestyle will need something like this competition to help him on his way.

I truly hope that America sees this competition for what it was meant to be and allows Jamile to continue.

Someone like Nick will do fine no matter where he ends up in this competition. They are already well known in the area and have worked with some of the choreographers prior to this competition. They don't need this break like some of the other not so well known dancers do.

I wouldn't care if Nick, Melody, Blake or some of the others were cut. I want to see the dancers like Jamile and Allen come into their own and grow as dancers. That shows true talent and is something I would find entertaining to watch.

Not the same old thing, week after week...Nick and his great turns, Melody and her flexability, Blake and his soul wrenching lyrical or Craig and his, well, whatever it is he does. I find it boring and without any excitement.

The others....the ones who were pretty much pegged from the beginning to be out early...those are the ones that I find exciting to watch. They show a very real enthusiasm towards new dances and perfecting those dances. And...they do. They show a love for dance that the others, in my opinion don't. They don't take anything for granted.

a friend of mine (a boy) started taking ballet classes because of So You Think You Can Dance... and also because i kept on bugging him :shrug:

Redstorm, one of the reasons I did watch was because Jamile is a "local" favorite here. I have seen him perform in person, and he is impressive. I'm rooting for him, too. :shrug:

• 1 month later...

Too bad I didn't have any money on it way back on July 27 when I said it would be hard to beat Nick Lazzarini....

During the audition phase, I called either Nick or Melody as the winner. Guess I'm pretty good, huh? :)

I had missed Anthony's (ribbon dancer) audition and had wanted to see him dance after reading this thread. Wow, what a difference between a classically trained dancer (Anthony), and competition circuit trained dancers (Nick, Blake, Melody). Anthony's fluidity, ballon, completion of every move, artistry was so far superior to any of the competition circuit dancers that even my husband noticed and commented on it! My husband, who has never been to a ballet, and who's only interest in dance is the fact that his daughter loves it was able to see the difference. Hmmm... It leaves me wondering, though, why they brought him back on?

Guest adancingartistforlife
I am getting this vibe that a lot of you don't consider Breakdancing and Hip Hop, forms of dance.  :wink: Or if nothing else consider them lesser compared to Ballet.

I'll say this, as a retired professional of 30 years. I have a lot of respect for Hip Hop and Breaking. If I tried to do it, the only thing I would break would be my neck.

Very athletic, and it requires a lot of strength. When people "Pop & Lock" (?) it reminds me a lot of doing isolations in Modern. Same principle.

Guest adancingartistforlife
Looking at the big picture... This is what I see...

1.  3,000,000 people called in last week (topping American Idol's first year).  This clearly shows that there is a growing public interest in dance. 

2.  Large  viewership and increase of popularity will result in more kids signing up for dance classes this fall in dance schools across the USA. 

3.  The good teachers will inform these new parents and students that ballet should be taken in addition to the other styles of dance.  This will eventually lead to higher enrollment in ballet programs. 

4.  I hate to mention this on this board, but (how shall I delicately put this....) LYRICAL classes will also increase in popularity due to the talented dancers on the show. 

5.  More money pouring in to the dance arts.

6.  AND.... the Big Bonus.... MORE BOYS will be walking into dance schools to take classes.  And  this increased male dancer enrollment along with the national popularity and stardom on tv will possibly help decrease the stigma still attatched to men who dance.

:wink:

Regarding the men in dance. You're right it will bring more of them in.

The thing that is amazing me is some of these guys, (Blake & Nick) are doing things that would have been considered "High Virtuoso Technique" 25 years ago. Granted, they are doing "jazz turns" and I have yet to see a beat or tour en l'air, but I have to give it to them.

Some of the stuff they do I couldn't do when I was at the peak of my powers back in the days of Wood Floors and Rosin Boxes (or maybe nobody had thought of it yet - Grand Jete landing in a cartwheel, sure, why not!) :P

Did some of you see more than the one hour show I saw? I saw only the results show which had the one guy who had been dismissed some time ago back as a guest performer. I never saw anyone dancing on pointe. Was there a follow up show after the results one?

I liked watching the shows I saw during the season. Ballet was never one of the styles chosen out of the hat for a couple to perform. There was Lyrical and Jazz done by people who have apparently studied some ballet. The whole hip hop thing is new to me. Very athletic.

Early on when people were being cut I saw one or two "ballerinas" audition. One of them should not have been in pointe shoes in my opinion. It wasn't just her lack of skill either. This sounds mean but she was just way too heavy. I pity her feet.

I feel like I really missed something.

Laschwen