Ballet Talk for Dancers
gerlonda

"Meaty Toes"

gerlonda

I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I choose one where I thought the most posters would be doing the most pointe work. Please delete if not appropriate.

Okay, so I know that pointe work can cause bunions and bunionettes, etc. but does working on pointe make your toes bigger? I'm not talking about just corns or calluses, but my toes actually look larger since I've been working on pointe (for 3 years now). Has anyone else experienced this? :)

Mel Johnson

Pointe doesn't actually cause bunions, but it can aggravate the tendency toward them. In the same way, it can compress the joint capsules of the toes, especially the carrying toes, making them shorter, but thicker. Usually, this compression is benign, and if unaccompanied by pain, just another occupational characteristic.

Claude_Catastrophique

When I look at my feets I see a tendency in the other direction. When I do a lot of intensive pointe work I always have the feeling that my feet are really tiny, including my toes and not just after class, in general.

M26

Perhaps they sweat and swell up. Same as rings around your fingers in the hot summer.

FYBtara

It's possible...often I find that when I come back from a short break, my feet seem bigger and it's harder to fit them into my shoes...as if they had a mind of their own and thought, "Whew, we're free...time to expand!" Hehe. However, in general, I don't think pointe has made my toes bigger...they're actually pretty bony and scary-looking. Might have different effects for different people, though.

Guest Katherine345

Thanks, gerlonda, for asking this question. It's something I've always wondered about too. Ever since I started pointe, I've noticed that my toes have gotten fatter, especially my last two toes.

vrsfanatic

It has been too many years for me since I began pointe work however most dancer's feet I look at have short, muscular toes. Could your toes have more muscle now?

shulie

I have long, muscular toes with a long, but massive and fleshy big toe (ugly! :yucky: ) - I guess you also develop some muscle mass on your toes- as funny as that may sound.

However my feet did shrink when I started pointe- how odd!