Ballet Talk for Dancers

Encouragement please!

dancnliz

I just need a little encouragement I danced when i was really little but my dad's job caused us to move around a bit so i didn't stick with it, and when we finally settled down we didnt have the money to get me re-started in a good dance school. I finally got to start about 3 years ago, when i was 17. I had to start from the bottom. I am now 19 and I'm doing pretty good I guess. I started pointe last september and I am in a level 4 jazz. But 6 months ago I went away to college and had to stop dancing. I am now back home I dropped out of school to dance. I start a 3 week dance workshop in 2 1/2 weeks. I am a little nervous because I haven't danced in 6 months and they put me in the workshop that is a little higher level then what im use to. I have a short time to prepare. I need encouragement and advice!!!!

Edited by dancnliz
  • Administrators

Hello dancnliz, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :)

When one has been out of ballet for a length of time it is always best to start back rather slowly. Give yourself time to let the body get back into shape and used to the work, and try not to put too many expectations on yourself. In the meantime, try to do a lot of floor stretches and maybe even some barre work at home, to try and be more prepared for your classes. Good luck, and enjoy! :)

i won't really wont be able to take it slow once the workshop starts. it is for 3 weeks 4 hours a day. it going to be intense!

• Administrators

You have two and a half weeks to get in shape. Are there no classes anywhere in your city where you can take now? Look for adult open classes, or any decent studio that will allow you to take some beginning and intermediate classes. If you can't do that, then go to a gym, work out at home, go to a Pilates studio, whatever you can. But you really need to be doing some ballet prior to the intensive.

I got into a pilates class its once a week on mondays. I even got my mom to go with me. I have started a low carb diet, lots of salad, protein shakes, no fried food, lots of water, vitemins, ect. Are there any floore and/or barre exercises you can recommend i focus on?

Edited by dancnliz
  • Administrators

Floor stretches before barre work should be mostly gentle things, like working on the feet, gently stretching the hamstrings, and mile rotation, like the butterfly stretch. Then do a basic barre, working on alignment, weight placement, use of feet, and rotation, throughout the exercises. After barre you can do more stretching where you push a bit more, like splits.

• Administrators

If you have had good ballet training, you know how to do a barre. You should also know how to do pre-barre stretches and after barre stretches. Work at it however long it takes. There are no rules here. It depends on your knowledge of what you are doing and your own ability to prioritize your time to make it happen every day. One really good hour should work.