Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Schools in Minnesota

giselleforlife

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this so move if necessary. There has just been a press release, and letters sent out from the school confirming the fact that Ballet Arts Minnesota and Minnesota Dance Theater School will merge as one ballet school.

Here is the press release: http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/e...nt/14855826.htm

THANK YOU!! When I heard about this i was ecstatic because I am moving to the Twin Cities in August and I could NOT decide between the two schools. In fact I think i uttered once "why can't they just become ONE school" thats exactly what happened!!!!!

AHH im so excited... i will be coming to this school in the fall.. so PM me if you want!

oh and by the way... whats happening to Marjorie Thompson? What will be her role in the new school?

Well, from what we have heard ( there was an informational meeting yesterday) all faculty will remain the same from both schools, and they are litterally combining. I'm assuming Marjorie Thompson is included, though I have no idea what her offcial title will be. I know that Marica Chapman will be the executive director while Lisa Houlton will be the Artistic director. Springboard will remain, and still requires an audition, I think there was just one a week ago, and probably another one sometime this summer. We will still be performing a Spring Board show at the Southern, and maybe have other opportunities because of the link to the Minnesota Dance Theater Company. There are going to be two Nutcrackers ( sounds CRAZY) and everyone will have the opportunity to perform/audition for both. I'm trying to think of anything else that is important... if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. Next year will be exciting!

I'm just worried that the programs will become sort of impersonal... like too big so not everyone gets the help they need. I don't know what to make of this.

And you have to be 16 to be in Springboard correct? Its just confusing now, because the MDT company used to have like a pre-pro repertoire company, and now we have both Springboard AND that.... am I right?

They *say* that there will be a limit to the number of students per level, and if there are too many that different sections of that level will form. You don't have to be 16 to be in SB, you have to be at an appropriate level in ballet and modern, but in general Spring board students are Juniors and Seniors. There won't be a repetoire company for MDT, but the company will pull some upper school students to help fill in a corps de ballet...Hope this helps a bit!

• 1 month later...

So basically MDT will pull some Springboarders for shows that they do? I supposedly am in Level 8 in the new "Dance Institute" school... I'm going to be a freshman.

• 2 years later...

My dd has applied to Macalester College in St Paul and I noticed there are alot of pre/pro ballet schools in St Paul and Minneapolis. One is 1 block away (St Paul City Ballet), and others are a few miles away like Gloria Govrin's MN Dance Institute in Minneapolis.

But, can anyone tell me how well-run is the public transit/bus system (esp. during the winter)? Is it safe and used by many people in St Paul/Minneapolis?

(This coming from someone who lives in car-centric Orange County! :-) )

Thanks for your help!

Public transit is heavily used, and the bus companies are used to winter conditions. It is safe, though I would be a bit wary of night travel on certain routes. Within the next couple of years, a rapid transit system is scheduled to be built, which will provide quick service from St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis. You might also look into the use of "hour cars", depending on how often she would travel to dance class. Gloria is doing great things with the school, and is attracting talented students from all over the place. She is, by all accounts, a phenomenal teacher and is also an incredibly charming person with a wealth of wonderful stories about her years with Mr. Balanchine.

Thanks atutulover! Just doing a Google search in the Twin cities, there seems to be many, good pre/pro schools, and many of which are attached to companies.

Can you, or someone familiar with the area, tell me other worthwhile places that offer quality advanced-level ballet classes in St.Paul/Minneapolis that's not too far from Macalester?

Thanks again!

gogators, if you'd like, PM me--I can give you my thoughts on ballet training here. And congratulations to your daughter on her acceptance to Macalester; it's an outstanding school! Moderators, what do I have to do to activate PM privileges?

atutulover, you don't have to do anything to activate the PM privileges. They come automatically when you reach the 'magic' post number. :grinning: Go to "My Controls", look down the list on the left-hand menu and select "Compose New Message" (or something like that). And off you go!

I agree with atutulover, I trained at MN Dance Theatre and can say that Gloria Govrin is a wonderful teacher and has done great things with the school. If you have any questions about MDT please let me know, I would be happy to answer them.

For specific information on this school, perhaps you all will start a thread for the school (if one is not there already) in the Pre-Professional/Residential Schools Forum. :thumbsup:

For specific information on this school, perhaps you all will start a thread for the school (if one is not there already) in the Pre-Professional/Residential Schools Forum. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get in touch with Gloria about the specifics of her summer offerings and her plans for the next year.