Ballet Talk for Dancers

Worried about Partnering at SI

ABTgirl14

Hi everyone! I'm going to my summer intensive in a few days and one of the classes that I might be taking (depending on my level) is partnering. If I am in the level that includes partnering, I'm wondering how experienced you have to be? Basically, I've done simple partnering before (finger turns, etc) but have never really done any big lifts. My question is do the teachers realize that everyone may have different amounts of partnering experience and teach from the beginning? Or do they assume you know how to do all of the "popular" lifts? I'm really nervous that my lack of partnering knowledge due the fact of having only 2 boys at my current studio will negatively affect me. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Experienced teachers do recognize that student may have little experience in partnering. It is the teacher's job to teach the students how to do the course of study. Relax and enjoy this wonderful class. It is great fun and a real insight into a bigger world of ballet! :yes:

Ahh okay that is good to know! I'll try my best to relax (even though I will be very nervous!! :) ) and have a good time. Thank you so much :yes:

Is it common to have multiple bruising around the rib area (back and front) after partnering classes? I am not accustomed to having so many partnering classes and my partner is very good but I've found more and more bruising after every class. Wearing a low-backed leo, I'm even getting comments from other students about the redness and bruising left after class. My teacher says I'm too thin, but I can't tell if he's just making a funny comment because everyone just laughs after he says that. He instructed my partner to hold me a little differently in lifts. I guess I just want to know if the problem could be something I'm doing wrong though I know you can't give a firm answer since you can't see me. Just wondering if this is a common thing. Thanks.

Bruising to that degree would be associated with a body that is unhealthfully thin- there is not enough weight to protect the organs and you should see a doctor.

Clara76

Thank you for replying. These partnering classes are very fast-paced and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something wrong to cause this. In the last week, I've had 2 teachers suggest that perhaps I am a little thin but this was followed up by an older teacher who said "you're a beautiful dancer and a beautiful girl--you just need to tighten things up and lose a few pounds". Such a quandry. :o

NB

Not that I doubt that you believe you heard that from a teacher, I think you need an Eating Disorder Doctor to tell you that before you act upon it.

Nashville baby,

Your symptoms are alarming and do indicate that there is a possible medical condition. At your age, bruising from partnering is not normal and needs to be investigated.

A visit to a physician for a complete exam with labwork will give you and your physician valid information regarding your health so you can make appropriate decisions. Comments from instructors, friends, etc are personal comments. A physical and labwork will be definitive, not guesswork.

Don't hesitate, make an appointment ASAP. Beautiful dancers are strong, healthy dancers. :thumbsup:

But if the partnering class is fast paced....it seems that that could be causing bruises in and of itself. Not to say that an exam is not a good idea, but I have often walked in the next day after a pas de deux rehearsal and had numerous bruises...not to mention all the ones on my knees from modern class. And I am absolutely not overly thin!

I get brusing also, but teachers have always brushed it away as the partners fault (And I also like believing it that way!!)