Ballet Talk for Dancers

One-week Adult Ballet Intensive: Boston Ballet

fendrock

Sounds intense! And a bit expensive, but thank you for the information.

Sounds intense! And a bit expensive, but thank you for the information.

I so wish I could go there!!!!!!! I can't just now - but oh I so wish I could go to Boston this fall - that's never going to happen, despite having been invited there by a couple of people! :D

Holly

Guest WorldstoSee

I am currently taking summer classes at the MetroWest Studio and will be signing myself up for the intensive this week. I wasn't sure I would be going but one of my friends who takes the elementary and intermediate adult classes with me said she was going and suggested I reconsider. I've never really done an "intensive" for real before but I guess it's never too late right?

Hmmm....that sounds interesting. And more financially feasible than ADC this year ( I can stay with a friend).

Has anyone taken classes at this studio? If so, what did you think?

Guest WorldstoSee

Well as previously stated I've never taken the Summer "Intensive" before. However, I do take both the elementary and intermediate adult ballet classes at MetroWest with Kristin Beckwith 5 nights a week. I only started this past May but I’ve learned so much in the short amount of time since I arrived.

We have live accompaniment and a really nice studio space. Kristin is an amazing teacher. I think someone told me she’s been teaching at Boston Ballet since 1985! Adult classes with her easily surpass all my previous training. She is very good about giving corrections that are easy to understand and implement. She is also able to tailor the class to the varied levels of the students present. For example when we jump she will first give the combination without beats and will then show it with beats so that everyone has something to work on. Also her 1 ½ hour class is very thorough and traditional which I like.

I have never taken class with anyone else but perhaps someone else on this board has more information than I.

I just sent in my registration; I have heard from several of last year's participants that there were serious problems with overcrowding. Enrollment has been capped (in theory) and hopefully that will solve the problems; everything else I have heard has been glowing.

I guess this is more of an intensive for locals. One of the best parts about ADC in Richmond is getting to live across from the studios with all of the other dancers. It may be more expensive, but it definitely sounds more inclusive. I cannot see why someone would travel to Boston to sit around all day (not trying to be mean, but I don't think I could sight see and shop for 8 hours! and then cram 3 classes into the nighttime hours. Dunno, maybe I'm not getting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it definitely fills a need, a different one from Richmond. Taking a week off of work can be very expensive for most adults; spending a week of evenings danicing for 3 hours costs almost nothing in terms of lost work. While that schedule is not doable for most people over the long term (family & other obligations), it's doable for a couple of weeks.

Kids have most of their free time in the summer. Adults don't have much free time at all, except evenings and weekends.

Also, for those students who normally study at the same school, there can be greater continuity in training before and after the 1-week intensive.

I would bet that an evening intensive like this could be marketed 3-4 times per year --- adding up over the course of a year to be equivalent to a longer "summer" intensive. It might also do well to involve maybe a full day on Saturday at the end.

I'm amazed other cities don't offer evening intensives.