Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pointe work for beginners over the summer in London?

does anyone know where I could do some pointe work over the summer in London as the class where I do it now won't be running for a while? I am only a beginner so is there anything suitable with enough supervision?

Thanks for any suggestions :angry:

K123, may I ask where you do your normal pointe class. As a returner to pointe I have tried with no sucess to find a adult pointe class.

Tara

There is Susan Zalcman's class at Pineapple on Saturdays.... but is quite pricey

K123, may I ask where you do your normal pointe class. As a returner to pointe I have tried with no sucess to find a adult pointe class.

I do an RAD syllabus class at the London Studio Centre as part of their evening access programme. The syllabus has a small amount of pointe work. Usually about 20 mins each week. I go to a couple of other open classes a week in other places but haven't managed to find anywhere I can do pointe work where I will get enough supervision, so outside the RAD class I only ever do rises and a few things at the barre on my own after a class to try and build up strength, but I don't think it's sensible to just launch into an open class wearing pointe shoes and be left to my own devices.

If you come accross any other classes in your searching, Tara, please let me know.

Is Zalcman's class really specific for beginning pointe? (or re-beginning? I know when I started again, I needed the intense supervision and attention to detail from a teacher who knew me well...).

Even though I'm strong en pointe (now... B) ), my technique could use some serious cleaning up, and attention to detail. So in addition to the classes that I wear pointe shoes in for the duration or for centre, I attend a beginning/intermediate pointe class once a week that really pays attention to detail. This is with 'kids' ranging from around 13 I'd guess? (I guess this because the other week it was noted that my black skirt was faded... and I said yeah, but it's probably around 14 years old, so you know, I'm happy it held up. Then some of the girls cracked up and were like 'your skirt is older than I am...'... FABULOUS I thought.... lol!). In any case, I've found this going back-to-the basics invaluale, and I also think it is good to have a class with a teacher who knows you and knows your strengths.... So maybe look instead of for open classes, a 'school' that will allow adults to take classes with the teens, if you feel comfortable with that?

Another option, which is also something I did, is to go to a class that is a level (or two or three) 'down' from your usual class - either with an open teacher you already know and like or with someone new - take their class regualrly a few times, and if you like it, ask them if you could wear your shoes at the barre or so, and explain why and explain that you want detailed help/corrections. In my experience, this hasn't been a problem.

Good luck - it's so hard to find these classes! If you find anything that works, do let us here know!! :angry:

Is Zalcman's class really specific for beginning pointe? (or re-beginning? I know when I started again, I needed the intense supervision and attention to detail from a teacher who knew me well...).

Well, everybody who pays can take the class :devil:

which is ridiculously expensive! argh!

Susan Zalcman has 2 pointe classes, there is one after her Wednesday class at Urdang as well (which saves you the Pineapple entrance fee, but the floors at Urdang aren't so Nice)

The Saturday one usually has slightly more experienced students than the Wednesday one, and so goes through more things.

The students vary alot in levels from those complete beginners who stay at the barre doing rises, releves and echappes to those more experienced who do much more centrework (generally pirouettes or other turns).

It is only half an hour so it doesn't cover an awful lot.

It is only half an hour so it doesn't cover an awful lot.

It's more like 20 min.... :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
Susan Zalcman has 2 pointe classes, there is one after her Wednesday class at Urdang as well (which saves you the Pineapple entrance fee, but the floors at Urdang aren't so Nice)

Trying_to_improve,

Can you give me the details for her Urdang class. I've tried emailing Urdang a couple of times before to get them to send me details of their classes and they haven't replied. What time is it and how much? what level? and is the pointe class a separate class with a separate fee?

Thanks,

K

I know it's old fashioned but I've always found it better to phone Urdang (and any other dance school) for information. You are much more likely to get an answer when you want it!

I went to her Urdang pointe class once. I hated it. The room was too small for the technique class, and then the pointe part was quite a lot of extra money and not very long once everyone had got their shoes on and messed about a bit. Everyone was a different level, so some people were at the barre and some people in the centre. it was crowded and I don't think it was well supervised.

I think her technique class on Wednesday is from 6:30 to 7:30 and pointe from 7:30 to 8.

Actually, Urdang will move to Islington soon, not sure what will happen to the evening classes

I know this is off topic - but I hope that they will expand their evening class offer as there will be more space. The new building they've got has the potential to be phenomenal.

Yup much bigger studios. Not sure if the evening programm will expand though they certainly will have the space. There is probably a change in students involved as well, for some Islington might be much closer or too far away to take classes there...

It's a lot closer to where I live! That's why I'm quite hopeful they will do evening classes. :lol: