Ballet Talk for Dancers

New to Ballet world

jimis

i am 24 years old male from greece and i live at athens

i like and always liked ballet very much because of the steps the music the beautifull bodies all.i always wanted to start ballet classes but as you know is strange for a boy to start ballet,i was afraid of my parents and friends and all that.anyway i took the desicion to start ballet classes without know it.

i would like your advice because i am a little worried that i am 24 years old and i am not flexible at all.

i want your advice about what i must becareful at first classes.Also i am a little woried about clothes story..but i think i will get used to it.

If there are any male ballet dancers who maybe are from greece maybe they could tell me about a good school which accept boys

Thanks for all and sorry if i wrote too much

i would like your advice because i am a little worried that i am 24 years old and i am not flexible at all.

i want your advice about what i must be careful at first classes. Also i am a little woried about clothes story..but i think i will get used to it.

If there are any male ballet dancers who maybe are from greece maybe they could tell me about a good school which accept boys

Hello, and welcome!

I lived in Athens (actually Kalamaki) for a while, some 30 years ago when first married. I have very fond memories!

I started taking ballet classes at 56 and have now been taking classes for 3 years, so no worries about age - you can learn a lot at any age. Here's a few things I wish I had known before I started:

Flexibility develops as you take classes. Classes will include some stretches, and there's much to be learned on the web. Don't stretch too hard at first, it's easy to hurt yourself until you learn your own body's limits, and recovery takes weeks. Doing an exercise correctly is much more important that extreme extension (flexibility).

Traditional classes are kind of old-fashioned and formal. The students are expected to show high respect for the teacher - no talking except for relevant questions, attentive listening, thanking the teacher (and pianist if you have one) at the end, etc.

Learn to accept your clumsy and uncoordinated movement, which you cannot hide if you are wearing the proper clothes. It will get better. Sizes of dance clothes are not the same as regular clothes - make sure you get stuff that fits you.

For the first few months, once a week may be enough, but pretty soon you'll wnat at least two classes a week; more if you get really serious.

Read the older posts here for more useful items - there's a wealth of good stuff.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

• 1 month later...

I became interested in ballet sometime when i was in high school. I was different, I was not very interested in sports, and lots of my peers in school thought i was weird. I was more involved with stuff like student council, yearbook and was on the math team. I really wanted to be a cheerleader after we had a squad from another high school visit once for a basketball team, but i was too nervous to do it. i graduated and then went off to college. after college i moved back home for 3 years before getting my own apartment where i am now. All along i had been pretty much anti-guy. Now that i was living in a more populated area, i had the opportunity to find someplace to take ballet which i started 5 years ago. I was 25 then. The town i grew up in was very small and isolated and the closest place to take ballet would of been here in the city i live in now which is 90 miles from home. I am 30 now.

Guest Doomwookie

Don't worry too much about flexibility. While you might not be flexible now, some of the exercises in ballet and other dance classes will improve it slowly. If you want to speed that up further, you can always take up Yoga, Pilates, or some other flexibility related class. I started ballet in January along with some Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and it has improved my flexibility quite a bit. I can now touch my toes with straight knees for the first time in my life. For me that is a major achievement and my flexibility is conitnuing to improve week by week. So, as long as you have patience and keep a focus on improving your flexibility, you will gain flexibilty.