Ballet Talk for Dancers

Taking classes at a lower level

Belle of the ballet #1

I'm currently in the highest class at my ballet school (working towards RAD Grade 8 this year and Advanced one next year) and I take every possible class for my level, but i don't feel like i'm doing enough to be ready for a major next year.

At the monent i do 8 hrs of ballet a week plus tap jazz and contemporary, but i was thinking of asking my teacher if i could join the intermediate class that runs before my class twice a week as well.

I know this work is simpler, and i was thinking that i could maybe take the class, or at least parts of in en pointe as although my pointe work has improved heaps lately i still feel i'm behind others in my class. I'm just kind of worried that doing this might seem a bit stuck up or something, like i'm trying to show off.

My other option for extra classes is another school in my area which has a good reputation, but teaches checcetti not RAD, but I thought a different teachers eye might be more beneficial than the same one for all my classes.

I probably won't start this until november after my school exams are over but i want to work out what i should do rather than organising it at the time i want to start.

Do the extra classes sound like a good idea? and if so would it be better to stick to the one studio or go to 2 different ones?

thanks heaps,

luv belle

Now, are we talking RAD Intermediate (vocational track) or just an in-school general sort of middle-of-the-road difficulty level? RAD Intermediate, I think, you would find rather more difficult than gr. 8. As a general rule, yes, taking a lower level of class and working for mastery of what you already know is a good thing to do.

Not really of me to say but I took only one extra class on top of my others for a school term at a lower level and it really helped - got me thinking about technique more as I didn't have to think about what comes next. :lol: Weird really... anne

I think that it would really help you. It would also help the yonger students as well. You also could take from the other school, but it might be a little confusing being a diferent method and all.

I am also in advanced one and going into grade 8 in the fall. I take an extra RAD class which is grade 5 level! Three grades below my current level and it really helps me. Not to brag or anything but during exams that extra class really helps. I have got the highest teachnique mark in our studio since I started taking extra classes which are lower then my current level. It may seem easy at first but It is a really good chance I find to really improve simple steps and work hard on improving technique. My one friend who is in my classes took checcetti classes for two years. It really helped her free enchainments but I think because of the difference in methods it made most things more confusing. She said it was alot different and harder.

Now, are we talking RAD Intermediate (vocational track) or just an in-school general sort of middle-of-the-road difficulty level? RAD Intermediate, I think, you would find rather more difficult than gr. 8. As a general rule, yes, taking a lower level of class and working for mastery of what you already know is a good thing to do.

I am talking vocational exams, and i do agree advanced one is much harder than grade 8, i don't really know why our teacher has us do them at the same time really, although other classes in the past have done intermediate at the same time as grade 8, our class must have just been ahead of where they were at that time or something.

Thanks everyone else for your advice, i think i will start an extra class, maybe with the intermediate group.

luv belle