Ballet Talk for Dancers

Movies: Step Up

Guest Danielle!

christa1217 I havent seen the movie(but I am seeing it sometime this week when my boyfriend decides to take me!) but I found the cd on amazon and it had song titles.

Its called Made Scott, Jamie I'm also putting the link where I found it incase anyone wants to buy the cd.

cd

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it last night and thought it was painfully bad! :) Extremely trite and predictable story, dreadful acting, full of stereotypes, no surprises, not enough quality dancing. A big thumbs down! :shrug:

This film appeared to have been written for a younger audience than for that to which it was set (high school aged kids). I observed that the youngest audience members enjoyed it the most (my dd and non-ds included). For the rest of us, it was an all too familiar theme. My kids were more interested in the story than the dancing (they didn't really comment on the dancing).

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but were the clips shown with the credits, audition bits submitted prior to casting (similar to the "absolutely the worst we've ever seen" American Idol auditions)?

Dance_Scholar_London
This film appeared to have been written for a younger audience than for that to which it was set (high school aged kids). I observed that the youngest audience members enjoyed it the most (my dd and non-ds included).

I can second your opinion about the audience. I still enjoyed it and it had a fair amount of dancing. :(

I enjoyed it a lot. It's a familiar enough story, but they managed to make it a little fresher than most. Loved Channing Tatum's understated style - he's great!

The stereotypes were there, but they just weren't quite SO stereotypical. I went into the movie thinking I'd just forget about the plot and enjoy the movie for its dancing. I was surprised to find just about all the characters likeable and interesting enough.

The bit with the mom about Cornell and Brown applications arriving in the mail was close to my heart, and I understood how the mom was scared about her daughter's choosing dance. I was too with my own kid even though I knew she was going to follow her heart and I was going to support her with it. Those twinges were still there.

When the mom first appears in the movie, I thought, oh no, not the dreaded mom-of-dancer type again! But this one wasn't so awful. It would've been nice if they'd have given us something a little more to explain her change of heart, but it was still OK.

It was a nice grade B movie with loads of dancing. For me, it doesn't have to be ballet. I like great dancing of any kind and this one did it for me. Like some others who've posted here, it was terrific that it's a "clean" movie - no cursing, no sex scenes, nothing that would've made me think twice before taking a young teen to see. It was honestly about the dancing and the music.

This is an impressive start for a dance movie. Maybe it will encourage them to continue making them....

Dance_Scholar_London
This is an impressive start for a dance movie. Maybe it will encourage them to continue making them....

I had the same thought. Hopefully this will initiate a whole bunch of dance movies :o

pointebabe4ever

I found it very entertaining granted I also do quite a bit of hip hop. True the acting wasn't great but I didn't think the plot was much like any other dance movie although it was pretty predictable in some cases.

Though a bit off topic - there is the swing meets hiphop one coming out as well as Desmond Richardson ( whom I would watch doing anything!) new movie.

I found the SF Chronicle review rather interesting. It said in part, "Face it: Moviemakers don't trust ballet's ability to grab a mass audience." Guess this is why the whole movie is hip-hop, pretty much like L.A. itself. The director, choreographer Anne Fletcher is quoted as saying "Ballet is one of my favorites as a dancer...but it's not always enjoyable for everybody to watch. It's not universally appealing." Is this the sad reality?

Guess this is why the whole movie is hip-hop, pretty much like L.A. itself.

I think the setting for the film is Baltimore not Los Angeles. It is odd to hear a city as diverse as Los Angeles described as "hip-hop", if that is what you meant. Hip hop is only one of the many rich cultures we Angelenos celebrate! (Because almost everyone here is originally from someplace else)

The director, choreographer Anne Fletcher is quoted as saying "Ballet is one of my favorites as a dancer...but it's not always enjoyable for everybody to watch. It's not universally appealing." Is this the sad reality?

It is the sad reality of the perception of people in the production end of large-release motion pictures. An illustration of the advice, "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the Great American Public."

Goldenhuny06

I really wasn't a big fan of the movie, I was so excited to see it but when i was in the theatre I found my mind wandering off. It was really predictable and the dancing even the hiphop wasn't all that great. Oh and yankee the video clips on the credit were from a competition on myspace where you could enter clips and five people got picked to be in the singer Ciara's video for the song she did for the movie.

The lead actress, Jenna Dewan was the one who said "L.A. is pretty much all hip-hop", in her press rollout in S.F. Not my personal opinion. A generalization, of course, and probably more referenced to Hollywood.

Wonder what they thought about Billy Elliot being such a hit if they're afraid to use ballet. You give people a classy picture, with a good story line and brilliant acting and it doesn't matter if it's ballet or street dance.

Archived