Ballet Talk for Dancers

How can I practice Fouettes

SugarPlumFairy1

• 1 month later...

I can do fouettes on flat ok, but I have much more difficulty on pointe...maybe my ankles are too weak? I have no problems doing any other turns on pointe. :o

• Administrators

Fouetté require the strength to do consecutive relevé on one foot. That strength needs to be built up before even attempting fouettés. Working on fouettés too soon, before the technique is strong and solid enough to allow the consecutive relevé, plus the ability to turn on pointe, at least a solid double en dehors pirouette, will just build in bad habits. Best to wait until all is in place and then go for the hard stuff. :o

my fuettes need work also. my teacher advised me to do just the mechanics of them at the barre. then, adding the turn, then moving to center. as far as pointe goes, mine also are worse on pointe, mainly becuase my ankles are very weak.repeated releves at barre en pointe helps this a lot! both feet, then one, and so forth, and in different positions.

For the people out there having trouble with fouettes, I understand! :D Once again I can’t control my legs all the way! Although my right side is much more under control, ever since my teacher told me to relevé in second and then pull in to passé, my left side is still a nightmare to look at! I can't wait for the day when I actually get these legs of mine to do everything I want them to! haha :cat: yes, I know I have to make them because as my teacher says "your legs don’t have a brain!" tehe

• 3 months later...

Two things I practice is: 1) The action of fouette (with no turn at the barre and 2) Start like you would to prep for a pirouette from 5th and after one pirouette repeat, fast! I keep going as long as I can keep proper placement.

• 4 years later...

I'm new to this ballet site, so I'm not sure if I'm posting this correctly, but I did have questions on fouettés.

1. How high is the leg initiating supposed to be? 45 degrees, 90 degrees?

2. Are there excercises that can help spotting for fouettés?

3. At a summer intensive audition, will the instructors ask for you to do fouettés on pointe? Even if you are fourteen?

The knee needs to be at retiré height. :thumbsup: Spotting for fouettés is just spotting over and over again. Learn how to do a single pirouette cleanly ending en relevé and still with the leg in the retiré position first. Then increase to doing clean multiple pirouettes. At 14, I would not necessarily expect to see fouettés en pointe. I would however, expect to see them around 16.

I think if you are asked to do them and you are not yet comfortable, you can say to the SI audition teacher that you've not done them before, and is there any other thing you could do instead.

• Administrators

Also, whether or not you are asked to do fouettés at an SI will depend on your class level. I would not be worrying about it, as if you have not learned them yet, it's possible that your teacher feels that you are not quite ready. Patience. :)

Thanks for the advice:) Also, on fouettés and pirouettes, I've been corrected about having my leg in passé too high? Like my foot will be above the knee of the standing leg? Is this incorrect, because I've been told both ways. Should it be directly infront of the knee?

The little toe should meet the space just below the kneecap. That's as high as a retiré should go. Any higher and you more or less have to complete a passé movement to somewhere!

• Administrators

In pirouettes the leg should not be above the knee. However, if one has very good rotation and can control the alignment and the retiré foot, the position of the toe a bit more side than under the knee cap can be very acceptable. This makes it very slightly higher, but not nearly as high as being above the knee and on the thigh. That does not work at all, in my opinion.

• 2 months later...

for me to get better at fouettes, my teacher had me go through the positions(fondue, front, side, releve, posse) on the spot w/o turning. This seemed to help me alot and now I am able to do 34 fouettes on pointe. Good luck and you will get there! (: