Ballet Talk for Dancers

Back to School - Back to Dance

calamitous

We are homeschooling this year also....never thought Id say that ...but so far it is working out wonderfully. DD changes studios this year, has ballet 6 days a week with an hour drive each way. Now instead of getting up early, going straight to school, leaving from school to go to dance and not getting home until 10 on the early nights; she is able to ease into her day and work at her own pace. I actually get to see her and she gets the needed rest and down time. So far it looks like its going to be a great year.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calamitous

• CEO

• Redstorm

• dance1soccer1

We too have decided to go the homeschool route, something I never in my wildest dreams imagined we'd be doing . So far, so good. DD will be heading to a program out of state and living with a host family, so we started the schooling component first to stay on a similar schedule to her local public school as well as work out any glitches before she leaves. She seems to be disciplined (of course, she's a dancer!) and well organized. The few times she has taken classes at her old dance school she has arrived to class with plenty of time to warm up (she used to change in the car on the way), she has found the time to eat a healthy snack (there was never enough time to change AND have a snack), and she is well rested because she is able to get through her academics/ homework and get to bed at a decent hour.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested to know how many dancers are homeschooling. We have been homeschooling from the beginning for different reasons other than dance schedules. But now that my DD is 13 and her dance schedule is more intense, I am grateful for homeschooling. My DS on the other hand is away at a dance school and is in school for the first time. He is definately having to adjust to this but other than coping with huge demands on his time with homework and dance classes and now Nutcracker rehearsals I think he is really doing ok.