Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet4ever1

Ballet Schools in CT - Southern or nearby NY State

Beezus21

HI Buzzandmoo,

I would assume that if you are in a school in NYC, it must be a great school! But, have you looked at Nutmeg in Torrington or Stamford Ballet School? Not sure if they would have the prestige as a school in NY would have, but it might be an easier option?

I have an appt. to check out Greenwich Ballet Academy next week. I observed class at Scarsdale ballet in Westchester, NY this week and I was quite impressed as well- but again a huge commute for us.

Considering having my daughter audition for SAB for the school year- not sure what that involves or if she would even get a place. I will have to poke around this website and see what others have said. I love this website! What a great source for information!!! I am so grateful I stumbled upon it! You might be able to carpool with DriverMom if she is close to you and you decide to go to Greenwich.

Good to hear from you!

BTW, isn't Westchester Dance Academy out by you? I realize that it is more of a competition dance school (like on Dance Moms), but i think the ballet program there is pretty good!

buzzandmoo

Here's a virtual cup of coffee to you! It has been such a comfort and relief to have this board. The information and commiseration has been invaluable!

We live close to the NY border in CT and far from everything! LOL NYC works simply because we cam hop on a highway and be there fairly quickly. Nutmeg is too far away to be a viable option at this point, but it is on the radar for later. Stamford is good but again there is no direct route from home to there and the traffic in Stamford frankly sucks! LOL Ditto for Greenwich. I personally want to stay as far away as humanly possible from a competition/recital school. She is taking an additional class at a really good new studio in North Salem but even there half of the class is rehearsal now for the year end production (and the class is not 90 min to begin with!). At her school in NYC it is just instruction. Any performance opportunities are rehearsed outside of class. It has become increasingly obvious to me that the really important factor at this point is hours of technique in the studio. When she is in class with other 10-11 year olds who have had just a recreational schedule the difference is striking. We stumbled into our current school. She begged for a more "serious" school and I thought the experience at a open audition at a "name" school would be good, never dreaming she would get in! Now three years in, she loves it even more and regardless what happens at her current school we are committed to a pre-pro dance education. Having said that; a "name" school DOES NOT equal perfect. There are a few issues at her current *** that give me pause. I am not sure if you can PM yet but I would be happy to answer your questions off the board :)

Anyone who goes to Greenwich Dance should contact me I know some moms who would LOVE to carpool! :wub:

gasguzzler

Does anyone know about Hartt Community Division Pre-pro intensive program? My 13 year old os looking for a pre-pro school and this is the closest we can find.

dancemaven

burker, look up-thread while you are waiting for more current responses. I believe there may be information in here---I know the same question has been posed previously.

gasguzzler

Dance Maven I did read above. But the intensive program is under the direction of a new person as of last fall. Her name is Samantha Dunster. Her credentials seem good but my daughter wants to go to Nutmeg.

A few weeks ago I started driving my daughter out to torrington to Nutmeg. It is an hour drive. I don't mind the drive and my daughter loves it but unfortunately the classes start at 3:45. She is at an independent middle school that has a big sports block in the middle of the day (because they share fields with the high school) therefore her last class doesn't end until 3:45; except on Wednesdays which are 1/2 days. So I can only bring her there on Wednesdays and Saturdays. We are concerned that will not be enough training. When she gets to High school, fall 2013 she will finish at 3pm. and I think if they waive her sport requirement I just can get her there but it will be tough. Hartt is about 10 minutes from her school and classes start around 5/5:30. There program offers classes 6 days a week and eligibility for private coaching with approval of director. If I were confident it was as good a program as Nutmeg this would be the way to go. She really likes Niutmeg but I am not sure its worth going only 2 days a week there. Should we go only twice a week and continue at the recitle/competition school on the other days (where she would get practice but there is not much room for growth) for one more year or should we enroll in the full prograam at Hartt. Does anyone know what we should do???

vagansmom

Hi Burker, I posted this information on another thread, but I'll mention it here. Tim Melady is on the staff of both Nutmeg and Hartt. I'm not sure if he's just affiliated with the college at Hartt or if he teaches at the school too. However, I think he'd be able to compare the two schools for you.

You and I PM'd each other a few weeks ago. Send me another PM and I'll give you my daughter's name. Tim and she danced professionally together for a few years and are friends. Give him a call and mention that she and I suggested you talk to him.

My gut tells me that since you're already concerned about the dance school your daughter is in, and if she can't use Nutmeg Ballet as her sports requirement, then she should switch entirely over to Hartt's program till she's in high school. At that point, if her private school allows it, she can switch back to Nutmeg if you find that Hartt isn't exactly what you want.

My daughter was able to use Nutmeg Ballet as her PE requirement at both her private middle school and her private high school. First, we had to educate the schools about the degree of "athletic" intensity of Nutmeg's program. The middle school was fine with that. The high school was concerned about two things: that her academic work might suffer as the ballet demands increased, and that she wouldn't be able to form social connections there (she was a day student) because she'd be missing so much time at the high school. They said they'd allow it on a trial basis for the first 3 months and then if the teachers felt she was fine, they'd agree to it. While she wasn't a super outgoing person at that time, she made and kept friends easily and we knew it wouldn't be a problem. We also knew that her academics would be fine, based on how well she did at the very intensive middle school she attended. Both Nutmeg Ballet and her private high school agreed all 4 years that she navigated the curriculums and social life of both schools very well.

At the beginning of every high school year, she was required to write a formal letter to the school requesting that Nutmeg Ballet be her "ex," and she had to state how many weekly hours she was attending Nutmeg. The first 2 years, Nutmeg had to also write a letter on her behalf. After that, my daughter's letter was simply a formality and Nutmeg didn't need to write anything.

adam12

Hi burker, can you tell us what you found out?

Guest chappiedancemom

For anyone wanting information on Greenwich Ballet Academy or Westchester Dance Academy - I'm happy to answer any questions. My daughter danced 4 years at WDA and this is her second year at GBA. She is 16 and a junior in high school. We live in Westchester County.

stefanie

Thank you

gasguzzler

Well I am interested to hear about it as well so if you do share info chappiedancemom please do it on this thread. I wondered about the change as I heard from someone that it changed hands and might be different from the serious school it once was. The faculty seems to have great credentials and they seem to get good guest teachers but I have not researched this school farther than visiting the website.

mamamia

My DD was not at the studio when Michael Shannon ran it, so I cannot compare. However, I will tell you that the training is excellent. The faculty is all Russian and they all teach the Vaganova method, so your dancers will get consistent training. The teachers are tough on them - I won't lie - with a high level of expectation. Their goal is to produce professional dancers. There is a girl who started this term in my daughter's level who travels 1 1/2 hrs each way to train at GBA. Another girl, 12, started in September from another highly reputable studio in Westchester. She saw how behind she was when she met GBA students her age at the Bolshoi summer intensive and wanted to get to their technical level. By Nutcracker this girl had a featured role and the parents saw huge improvement in her technique in such a short period of time. And yes, gasguzzler - GBA faculty have excellent credentials - all have had professional careers. I would suggest that you bring your dancers to try a class with Yuri, GBA's director, and see how they like it. My daughter's first impression when she tried a class for the first time - very challenging! And she had danced at SAB and at summer programs in the city. There's also the GBA summer intensives. I hope this was helpful and good luck to your dancers!

mamamia

BTW, chappiedancemom & mamamia are the both ME!! I don't recall how I did that but I must have registered twice. How do I cancel one of my accounts??

stefanie

Mamamia thanks for responding.

dancemaven

Mamamia/chappiedancemom, I have referred your question to the Administrators. Thank you for bring this to our attention. :D

Victoria Leigh

Mamamia was registered in '09 and has 10 posts. Chappiedancemom registered in '12 and has 15 posts. Which one would you like to keep? :)