Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet4ever1

Ballet Schools in CT - Southern or nearby NY State

dancerloves

I would like to just add that my teacher teaches at GBA (though my studio is not at all close to Connecticut) and on several occasions some of the girls from GBA have come to my studio and taken classes with me. They are well trained, I was pretty impressed with them. Anyway, about my teacher, she is a very talented teacher and graduated from the Bolshoi. If all of the other teachers are like her then I would say that the instruction would be great!

The teacher I know is definitely not abusive, she loves her students, but it's tough love. She is tough, but not mean. She expects you to be the best that you can be and if she doesn't think that is what she is getting she will tell you.

I think the girls from GBA must love her too since they were willing to drive probably 4 hours to have her classes. I don't know if that helps since I only have experience with that one teacher, but I hope it gives you some idea.

mamamia

Stefanie - I suggest you email GBA's general manager Brooke Donatelli with questions regarding tuition. She is very responsive. Her email is brookedgba@gmail.com. I don't know if tuition will change next fall so I don't want to misquote.

Your 14 year old will most likely be placed in levels 4-5. Then based on her level of technique she may be moved to 6-8. This is the highest level. There are between 6-10 dancers in each. No boys in these levels currently. But for performances there are partnering opportunities and older boys are brought in from Ellison Ballet or other studios.

The studios are in Port Chester on the Greenwich border. Big and bright with high ceilings. Unfortunately only metered street parking only. Normally parents just drop off but there is a waiting room. Yes observation days for parents.

Dancerloves is correct. Tough love. The Russian teachers all expect 100% from the students and are very serious. On occasion they will focus on an individual student not to abuse them but it may be embarrassing to that student for being called out. But that seems to be the Russian way. They are very passionate and expect the very best. But there is no Abby Lee type abuse!

mamamia

Victoria - I would like to keep chappiedancemom but don't remember my username and password I registered with.

Beezus21

Hi Stefanie,

I keep toying with moving my DD to this studio. We went to visit this place and took a class with Yuri Vodolaga, who is the AD of the studio. My daughter loved him. He is classic Russian- tough but my DD liked him. The other students seemed to be fond of him as well. The facilities were bright and light. Yes, parking was an issue, but I imagine that you could do curbside drop off. They do have a nice waiting room and are located very close to a Costco, Marshalls, grocery store, Kohls, Whole Foods, etc. I spoke to Brooke Donatelli as well and found her to be very responsive. My emails were always answered in 24 hours.

I went to watch their production of the Nutcracker and it was held at Greenwich High School. It was very well done!

My DD is younger than your DD, but I was told she would dance 6 days/week for a few hours at a time.

The knock I have on this school is that it is run by a parent controlled board. I have never been fond of these set-ups as they usually tend to favor the board members kids. Not sure if that bothers you or not. Although it bothers me, it wasn't the reason we decided not to come, we have some commuting issues to figure out first.

Oh, I forgot to tell you that it is very close to the Port Chester Metro North stop. I was told that some of the older kids will ride the train to class and then have their parents pick them up in the evening. Not sure I would ever be comfortable with this, but I guess some DKs do fine with it.

Hope that helps.

Beezus 21

Beezus21

Ballet Des Ameriques

This is another school I checked out. It is about 3 blocks away from Greenwich Ballet Academy. The owner/AD is a lady named Carole Alexis. She is French Caribbean and trained at Maurice Bejart. I absolutely loved speaking with her and found her to be incredibly personable and knowledgeable. She was very up front with her expectations and philosophy of training. My DD did not take a trial class with her, because I just came to the conclusion we were seeking more of a classical approach to training. I will leave you with the website though because I was very intrigued with her as well as her school: www.balletdesameriques.com

mamamia

Beezus21 - my DD was Sugarplum this year. In the past this role has been danced by Irina Dvorenko of ABT. The GBA productions are always very well done. Glad you were able to see it!

Stefanie - the weekly schedule should be on the GBA website. Can you register your DD for the summer intensive? This is a great way to try out the school.

Beezus21

Mamamia,

Yes, I remember her and she was beautiful! She did such a nice job! You must be very proud of her! I imagine she has a career in front of her..!

mamamia

Thank you Beezus21! She plans to go to a traditional college but will continue to dance. This summer she will attend both Bolshoi and Juilliard intensives. She is nursing a foot injury so she is unable to perform in the June show. But I encourage anyone wanting to see a GBA production to attend. June 14th. Info online.

stefanie

Thanks all for the info

mamamia

So far I have not seen favoritism. I am not on the board and my DD has been cast in lead roles and this is only the second year at the studio. My DD confirmed that she hasn't seen favoritism either. As for the commute and schedule conflicts, the school will work with your needs and if your DD can only come 3-4 days then I'm sure that will be fine. That's how we started. They would prefer the kids to come every day but they understand if they can't. Stefanie, it sounds like you have a lot of concerns. Let your DD try a class with each teacher or the summer intensive, even for a week. It may or may not be for her. Btw where does she dance in the city? And where do you live?

stefanie

Thank you for all the help.

WannaPrimaMom

I was just wondering if there are any more updated opinions on FineLine in New Milford?

vagansmom

Fine Line, through all its iterations over the years, has always had a kind of battle between being a musical theater school and a ballet school. Usually, the theater side has won. But they've always managed to offer quality ballet instruction, although not always enough hours for a pre-professional student. Right now, their ballet program is offering a one and a half hour ballet class 5 times a week. My daughter has had Arlene Begelman and Barbara Braverman as teachers and thought they were excellent. Her home school was Nutmeg, but she supplemented in August with classes at Fine Line. Her favorite teacher there was Robert Maiorano, a former NYCB dancer, but he is no longer listed on the teacher roster.

You'd have to supplement if you want a ballet career. And you'd have to be ready for potential changes to the schedule.

WannaPrimaMom

Interesting. The class schedule that they have posted on their website lists 6 days of technique classes for the upper levels, all 1.5 hrs or more, 4 advance level pointe classes and variations. All this correlates with the guidelines here on BT4D.

vagansmom

Oh, that's good! When I looked on the website this morning, all I saw were the 5 technique classes. Arlene has always had terrific ballet teachers. Barbara's been with her for many years. A couple close friends of mine have served on their board through the years and many academic students of mine take classes there, though none are pre pro ballet. They mostly take ballet as an adjunct to theater.

I have a huge admiration for Arlene Begelman.