Ballet Talk for Dancers
Ballet4ever1

Ballet Schools in CT - Southern or nearby NY State

WannaPrimaMom

My understanding is that Arlene and Barbara still teach the advanced levels, though they do not run the school. It is run by Elizabeth Parkinson, an immensely talented dancer in her own right.

I was curious as to what the overall perception of the school, and its training, is? (Many dancers/families believe they are at the best school until they find out otherwise. A case of "you don't know what you don't know.) It seems that, with the exception of The Nutmeg, FineLine is the only quality ballet school in the NW part of the state. My understanding is that The Nutmeg is strictly Vaganova, whilst FineLine teaches a combination of Vaganova, Cechetti, and Balanchine styles. Many of the advanced FineLine dancers are accepted into the top SIs, several with scholarships. It's not strictly a pre-pro school, as that is not every student's desire, but there is a pre-pro program for those who choose to pursue it.

pasdechevaux

New England Academy of Dance in New Canaan- ABT certified teachers. You will not find a more loving, nurturing environment and excellent classical ballet training.

Oreo

Recommendations for a school for serious male student near Newtown, CT? Any current opinions? The previous posts are pretty old.Thanks in advance.

adam12

Have you checked out Nutmeg?

pasdechevaux

Contact Ted Thomas, co-drector at New England Academy of Dance. neadance.com

ZsaZsa

Hello all! Is anyone familiar with Ridgefield Conservatory of Dance in Ridgefield, CT, or Westchester Ballet Center in Yorktown, NY? I'd be grateful for any insights into either studio. Thank you!

Water

Does anyone know of a school that would allow a 10 year old to drop in for a couple of classes in/around Stamford? I will be visiting family and my daughter is missing 2 weeks of ballet due to the timing of spring break- not ideal! She's an advanced beginner at a pre pro school where we live, normally trains 3 days per week. I am not picky about the class as long as it gives her some practice. She's really interested to try a class in a different place. I saw that a private lesson might be possible at Stamford ballet, but $$$.