Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

How do I make myself a really good dancer?

Guest Ana1992

Guest Ana1992

I'm 14 and just started ballet on Tuesday, I really love it and I know that if I did pursue a career in it I wouldn't be the best but at least somebody. I only have enough money to go twice a week and the first class is ballet 1-2 and the second (and most fun) is ballet 2-3. Since I can't have classes most of the week what other ways do you think I could improve. I practice every day and almost all day. And what is the best diet(ish) to go on to improve my performance? AND (sorry) how do I get myself closer to going on pointe? I know it won't be soon but is it possible to go on pointe in maybe monthes to a year :unsure: I'm very hopeful!

Thanks a lot!!

Ana :)

No, ana, it won't be possible in a year. Starting out with only two classes a week is all right, but by the end of your third year of study, you should be taking a minimum of three 90 minute classes, and then you can think about pointe, if your teacher says you are all right for it. There is no way to hurry it up, it's all time. And since you got a late start, you should make sure that the training you're getting is the very best you can possibly get.

Guest Ana1992
No, ana, it won't be possible in a year. Starting out with only two classes a week is all right, but by the end of your third year of study, you should be taking a minimum of three 90 minute classes, and then you can think about pointe, if your teacher says you are all right for it. There is no way to hurry it up, it's all time. And since you got a late start, you should make sure that the training you're getting is the very best you can possibly get.

Lol okay I was just wondering, I had a feeling it wasn't but yeah. But why do yuo say in the third year a minimum of three? Just wondering.

Mr Johnson is right Ana :) You can just 'get good' in a year, especially with no experience and only two lessons a week. As you are a late stater, you also have to consider that if/by the time you get to pointe (which usually takes more than a 'few months or a year') other girls in your group who started ballet and pointe early will have years more experience. Believe me, if there was some sort of magic potion I would have bought and bottled it years ago ;)

But it is never too late, a lot of people are 'late starters' in ballet - a lot even older than you! Getting to pointe is hard for everyone, but the rewards are great - the beauty and art of dancing on your toes is beautiful and magical. Its lovely that you take such an intrest into ballet :unsure: You need to make sure you can get the best possible teaching you can, and always give 110%! That IS the magic formula :)

Let me know how you get on, and good luck :thumbsup:

By the third year, you should've gained experience and flexibility and learnt the poise and strength needed to fully study ballet.

Only your teacher can tell you if you are ready for pointe, and I'd recommend you read the stickies at the beggining of the forums about pointe work and the dedication it requires (really helpful! :thumbsup: )

It is ok though to wait for pointe....you should not be in any rush. I was put on pointe late (13) after taking ballet for 4 years. I thought that I would be behind, but I was so prepared and ready for it, that when I go to summer intensives I have always been in the same level as people who have been on pointe 2 and 3 years more than me! It's good to have some time to just work on technique!

Good Luck!

---Kalie

• 2 weeks later...

Heyy!! I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your dancing! That is the best thing! When you feel good about what you are doing and love it. Just keep on trying hard and work hard. Good luck!!

Have a GREAT day!!

star_reacher :wub:

I started getting serious about ballet kind of late also and started pointe after my second year. Although I was extremely lucky and didn't get hurt, I did pick up some pretty bad habbits that I'm still trying to fix. Ballet is something you have to be really patient about, but as long as you love it and don't try to rush things keep it up!! :)

<3 Cali

pointe takes quite a while to become properly trained for. it took me from when i started age 4 to last year age 12 to be aloud to start and trust me it hurts. i myself have to put ice on my feet and knees after class