Ballet Talk for Dancers

Music: Piano Accompaniment

homeschooltreasurs

Hamorah, thank you so much! I did try Amazon for this book, but since they said it was currently unavailable, I thought maybe it was out of print. However, since you have suggested it again, it must really be good and I will definitely pursue it. I notice that the RAD website you gave has it, so maybe I could order from there. The description you gave is very helpful...sounds like just what I am looking for. Thanks again!

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread and glad to find that there are ballet students who are also playing piano for the class. I start playing piano for RAD class two months ago. The music is devised in the syllabus so I didn't have to improvise. My background in ballet - as I'm currently also taking class, is quite useful especially in communicating with the teacher. However playing for the class is not as easy as it looks like. I had to keep a steady tempo which initially i am not too good at. In summary, it has been a very interesting and enriching learning process and I hope to continue this endeavour - even though I am only doing it as a hobby for a small number of hour per week. I hope in a few months or next year I would be able to start playing piano for free class.

I hope to revive this thread, hoping to learn from other ballet pianists on how to develop oneself into a good ballet pianist / accompanist.

I would never presume to tell a pianist how to play their music, because I consider you artists!!!

What I can say is what helps me in the levels I teach, and hopefully others can do the same.

With tiny little ones (around 7 & 8), it helps to have some runs at the ready for the times you hear the teacher saying things like, "Let's see how fast we can get into a circle", and the pianists plays a lovely, speedy run while the children get themselves into their configuration. Or if a teacher has to say something like, "I can see we are all quite interested in our shoes today. Shall we all have a seat and fix our shoes for once and for all so we can get back to dancing?" and the pianists plays, "Dum, dum, duuuummmmmmm" in an ominous tone but with a funny smile on her face.

Also, having all of the typical genres ready to go is helpful: Waltzes, Tangos, Marches, Mazurkas, Tarantellas, etc.

For the mid-levels, what really helps me is when the pianists are listening to how I give the combinations- whether my voice and movement are soft or stonger, and whether I am giving a 3/4 or 4/4, and my tempos. Provided they play steady tempos, like a little metronome was sitting there keeping time, I am usually pretty happy!!!

I have to agree with Clara 76 that having a number of suitable pieces for dance in various tempi ready is very important. Sometimes a pianist will play something that doesn't quite fit the enchainement and then I'll ask her/him to try something else, so it's very useful to have a range of waltzes, polkas, adagios etc in their head, ready to pull out when needed. What really bothers me is a pianist who brings masses of sheet music along and every time I set a step ruffles through them searching for something suitable - it wastes so much class time. I think it also helps if an accompanist can improvise, but I know that not all pianists can do that.

It's really interesting to hear the perspective of the teacher regarding the pianist. Such skill of playing for dance doesn't seem to be well codified and most pianist should've learned through a dialogue process with the teachers.

As i have not yet played for free class (without pre-determined set of music) I can't comment on that at the moment.

The ballet school I'm at are relying heavily on CD and Ipod and do not have resident pianist. There are part-time freelance pianist hired only for exam season since RAD requires exam to be conducted with pianist. I started playing a few months back for only one class.

RAD class have a specific set of music so I don't have to spend time looking or preparing the set of music for the class. I am trying my best to play according to the tempo in the recorded music, but often times the perceived tempo that I play is not exactly the same as the recording. So what I do is to listen very carefully to the teacher when she is giving a break down of the movements and follow the tempo given by the teacher as much as possible. And I need to follow the teacher when she is teaching part by part of a long dance, so that I know which part of the music to play in a specific tempo when repeating the part of the dance. So it's not like I can relax while the teacher is not requiring a pianist.. I need to also pay attention to the teacher to ensure the class is running smoothly. What a challenge and a learning experience!

I would imagine for free class, at the beginning I would talk to the teacher and prepare the set of music to play. Hamorah rightly points out that scrolling down music sheet in class must have been very disruptive. I will keep that in mind to avoid it to happen. A combination of sight reading skill, a memorized set of music / genre, and improvisational skill should help in running the class smoothly.