Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dress code

missy12784

I realize many schools have uniform leotards that correspond to the different leotards. My ballet school, since I've been there (15 yrs.) has never really had a uniform leotard. Meaning same color, style, and brand. Our pre-professional level has had a rule of only black, but now my teacher is makingeveryone wear a coded leotard. The little girls wear same brand and style but different colors, depending on the level. And she's making the pre-professional girls wear the same brand, style and color! Plus she's making us buy them at $30. Does this sound a little over the top for a school that's never had to wear uniform leotards before???? I do! :(

• Administrators

Sounds like the school is making an effort to achieve a professional look in their classes. It is their prerogative to do that. Most professional schools have uniforms. Some it's just a certain color, and others require a certain style and color. Where I am teaching now the students wear a different color every day, 6 days a week, but all the same style.

Knock, knock -- a mom of a dancer whose school went from black camisole (any brand) to an academy leo w/the school's logo embroidered on the hip -- meaning that they can only be purchased through the school's vendor, they are about $38.00 apiece, and there is one style only. At first, I was dismayed, because of the cost factor, and thinking that not everyone was going to look good in the same exact leo. However, into our second year of the uniforms, it has been fine. I gradually added to her leo drawer (she started out w/2, then got a few more for Christmas, to cut down on the laundry schedule!). The school did an excellent job of choosing a stlye that actually looks good on all the dancers, and they are of better quality than the $12 ones I was buying for dd -- this year, she's actually getting a second year's wear out of a leo -- it didn't wear out like the cheapos did. So...while I understand your frustration (and was a little peeved when she needed plain [no logo] leos to attend cpyb [those were the $12 models!]) overall it's been a fairly smooth transition, and makes it simple for the dancers -- they've got to wear the uniform. Good luck w/the transition!

We have found at our store that the parents of kids with uniform standards actually end up spending less money over the course of a year. When there is not standard leo, it's easy to get bogged down in a new leotard every time new styles and seasonal colors come out as a sort of fashion statement. (which is good for business but not necessarily for the pocketbook) But who wants 10 of the same? So you learn to buy one or two and wash often and not feed the fashion frenzy. Instead of looking at the individual cost per leotard, you might look at your yearly leotard spending and see how much you spent last year vs. this.

vj

I can understand why you might chafe at being told what to wear, after many years of freedom. However, no: I do not feel it is over the top. If the school feels a uniform is a good idea, this sounds like a reasonable policy.

Our studio has a simple dress code: pink for the tiniest kids, a year in white for the oldest pre-ballet students, and black thereafter. Any style. I asked my kids (ages 14 and 18) what they would think of a more structured dress code. To my surprise, both were enthusiastic about different colors for different levels. They liked the idea of "growing into" a new color, and they liked that dancers could be identified by level (probably because they are at the top of the heap ...). The main thing was that after so many years, they were just plain BORED with black. :thumbsup:

Mother here as well ... my daughter moved from a school where anything was a go as long as it was black, to one where an official leotard is necessary (it's a professional ballet school). As a parent, I don't have a problem with this as I can understand the theory behind it. However, my daughter is, unfortunately, very picky about how leotards "feel", so it may be an issue there.

As was mentioned above, my guess is that your school is looking to project a more "professional" image. Not always a bad thing, in my opinion.

Thanks everyone, now I don't feel quite as frustrated about the new dress code. I like the thought of us all being in the same leotard/color, because then we feel unified as one and are all working towards the same goals, without trying to "out-do" each other on who has the most resent leotard or how many we have. I'm just a little peeved because I have $hundreds$ of dollars worth of really nice leotards that I won't be able to wear! Thanks again!!!!!!! :)