Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dress code issue

Sakura

It's funny but sad. I dance with a bunch of pre-teen girls (read "No boobs and no hips) and the uniform for their grade is a hot pink tank leo.

I'm fat and wear black camisoles because I came from an adult class originally. Now we are starting RAD Grade 6 and I wonder what I would wear if I take the exam? Would I have to wear a hot pink number too that would show off my rolls of fat? Plus people my age don't just look good in hot pink...I would need a long sheer skirt too to match my leo...wonder if I will be wearing a hot pink leo plus a hot pink skirt to blend in with the class...

I am already self-conscious enough about my figure... :D Seriously, the more advanced classes has older girls and some of them actually have more solid-looking bodies but in my class I REALLY stick out because I am the second-oldest...

I tried to lose weight but an upsetting death in the family disrupted my diet plans...I guess I should start up again...

I really would like to fit into my old practice skirt again :thumbsup:

I

I really would like to fit into my old practice skirt again :thumbsup:

Try to stop worrying and enjoy wearing some color. I actually just ordered a hot pink tank leo in a 2X just because I like that color and it would match my multi color skirt. Size shouldn't confine you to black.

I have figured out that I do look better in plain black leo and tights, even without a skirt, but wearing that all the time depresses me.

may just not check out my figure in the mirror so much.

Laschwen

I would second that - just enjoy your dancing and the rest will happen anyway.

Plus...

For RAD exams you need to wear one of the approved styles/colours anyway, don't you?

I think Kate's right, that there are set uniforms for the exam. Meanwhile, I hope you'll wear what you feel comfortable in.

As for that feeling of sticking out in class, well. Whenever I feel like that (falling over, stupid mistakes, embarrassing hole in leotard, whatever), I remind myself that (a) everybody is concentrating too hard on themselves and on watching the best dancers to notice me and (:yes: in a regular class everyone becomes part of the furniture anyway. Test it out by asking yourself what you noticed about others....

It's true that there is a set uniform for RAD-exams, but the Higher Grades (6, 7 and 8) are an exception to the rule!

The leotard has to be of one solid color and I believe the fabric has to be one style as well (so no velvet top and cotton bottom or something) and the skirt has to match the leotard.

So, you can wear black, blue, burgundy, purple, red or pink!

For the style of the uniform, free as well, so you can choose long sleeve, short sleeve, straps, tank, camisole, fancy backs with those straps crossing, although I think halter is not approved.

Oh, and when you take the exam, you have to go in together in the same style and color of leotard....

Some schools set the uniform, but some schools let the option open to the students.

Hope this helps you!

~SKIP~

In my opinion, a uniform is just a dress code that makes a group of people easily identifiable and makes them look more cohesive.

I've seen my 80 year old gran in hot pink and she looks fab, so I don't buy into the "I'm too old for hot pink" bit, either.

I agree with the others, wear the uniform (you'll probably feel like a sore thumb if you don't!) I'm sure there are other students who dislike the color as well. Just remember that when you're dancing, it's your movements that matter, not what you're wearing. Hot pink or not, go knock em dead! ;)

The RAD uniform states it should be 'A classic style of leotard in cotton lycra in any colour' and the leotard, skirt and scarf should match or tone with each other.

Would hot pink be considered suitable with this description? I'm pretty sure criss-cross straps aren't considered a classic style, I would have thought long, short, capped, tank or cami would be the only permitted styles.

But you would certainly need to ask the teacher if you're preparing for the exam as she will set the colour and possibly style for the group.

hey sakura...hope things are fine with you. let me see if i can help with this.

when you speak of hot pink, i think you mean the bright pink RAD leotard? (i think they call it mulberry.) most of my classmates were wearing that for most part of grade 6 since it was their uniform in grade 5.

for all my classes, though, i usually stuck to my plain black camisole leotard. some of the girls liked it and started to wear black as well (pre-teen girls can be very self-conscious too!). my teacher was fine with black for class but drew the line at using black for the graded exams. i'm sure your teacher feels the same.

as skip mentioned, there's no "fixed" uniform for grade 6, so we made our own exam leotards in our groups. in fact, my group spent close to an hour arguing over the colors and design :) i had a baby blue leotard for grade 6 and a burgundy leotard for grade 7, and personally, i still think i looked massive in the baby blue one :P

oh, and a tip, you might want to start saving now...the exam fees and the new leotard and skirt added up to a tidy sum. you'll also need a character skirt and shoes if you haven't bought them already, and paying for all of them at one go really made me wince :hyper:

Hi Sakura (means cherry blossom in japanese? yes?)

When i took grade 6 we had a pale blue leotard, which looked pretty at the start of the class, but showed sweat patches really really badly, theres photos of one girl in particular with big dark sweat spots under her arms and bust. Though im sure to the examiner it made her look like she was working harder than the rest of us, since we all failed and she passed... :D

I guess the point is, while it might be a little embarrasing to wear that colour if indeed it ends up chosen for your exam - if you work hard and dance well, that will be the thing noticed over and above the leotard colour.

(Although hot pink does sound a little like Karla Bangs School of Dance Xcellence to me... ask your nearest Aussie. :shrug: )

Sakura,

I'm sorry about the leotard, I know it's hard to spend money on and wear something you don't like or feel ok in. I had to wear a hot pink bright leo and skirt for a mambo performance once- I hated it- I did love the dance, though. If you have to get, you have to, then- that is part and parcel of being a dancer, especilly in a graded program where discipline and following directions are probably taken into account when grading. Just as in auditions, dress code and tidiness are valued things. As an Asian woman who understands the duty to elders and tradition, I imagine it must be doubly so where you are. If you feel you can approach your teacher about changing uniform color, give it a try.

Appleblossom,

Is Karla Bangs to Aussie dance culture as Dolly Dinkle is to American dance culture? (Aside from my penguin collection, you and others on the board ARE the nearest Aussies). :D

Appleblossom,

Is Karla Bangs to Aussie dance culture as Dolly Dinkle is to American dance culture? (Aside from my penguin collection, you and others on the board ARE the nearest Aussies). :D

Karla Bang is a character on this TV sketch show called The Wedge. She is a parody of the worst kind of dolly dinkle. The star of the show is always her uncoordinated and untalented daughter...check her out here... http://wedgedale.com.au/wedgies_karla.htm

I am already self-conscious enough about my figure... :thumbsup: Seriously, the more advanced classes has older girls and some of them actually have more solid-looking bodies but in my class I REALLY stick out because I am the second-oldest...

I really would like to fit into my old practice skirt again :wink:

I can understand not liking an outfit and thinking it doesn't/won't suit you.

However, I have to say that these statements about your figure really surprised and saddened me. I guess because I figured that any woman who was willing to put herself into an adult Ballet Class (knowing she had to wear a leo) had enough self confidence not to let her "flaws" cause her angsty-type self-consciousness issues [especially comparing to younger classmates!].

I love that Karla Bang page. everyone should have a look and laugh out loud like I did.

Of course I am going to have to see if my light pink leo can be dyed now (without the color transferring to my skin) that I have seen the one photo.....

I am not that big around...I don't think.

Laschwen

I love that Karla Bang page. everyone should have a look and laugh out loud like I did.

Of course I am going to have to see if my light pink leo can be dyed now (without the color transferring to my skin) that I have seen the one photo.....

I am not that big around...I don't think.

Laschwen

Its a shame theres no video there, because the funniest bit is the way she dances... Kinda like a frog in a blender!

Yup, I think it's some kind of RAD design. They took their Grade 5 exam last year I think before I joined. I have the character skirt and the shoes already. I wouldn't be taking the exam next year so hopefully I can put off getting the long skirt, leos and the silk scarf thingy you use for free movement. My present leos probably are not suitable for exam wear. Anyway, I don't think I'll be taking it with the present class. I think I need more time to catch up than the others...

hey sakura...hope things are fine with you. let me see if i can help with this.

when you speak of hot pink, i think you mean the bright pink RAD leotard? (i think they call it mulberry.) most of my classmates were wearing that for most part of grade 6 since it was their uniform in grade 5.

oh, and a tip, you might want to start saving now...the exam fees and the new leotard and skirt added up to a tidy sum. you'll also need a character skirt and shoes if you haven't bought them already, and paying for all of them at one go really made me wince :)

I just have bouts of "Why am I putting myself through this humiliation?" There are two adults in the class besides myself; both started as adults and all three of us screw up more often than the kids in the class. We're in a sort of adult ghetto... And I'm noticeably less flexible than anyone...I came very close to throwing in the towel lately...my grandmother just passed away a few weeks ago and I felt like I needed a break because I had trouble concentrating on things with all the turmoil in my personal life. Plus, I'm sickly and low on money...in fact, I restarted ballet just after I had surgery...

Though it really isn't fair to compare an heavy adult with a year or so worth's of experience with pre-teens who were trained from a young age...My teacher is wonderful and I'm very, very lucky to have her...some of the kids are just kinda unfriendly...it was worse before the other 2 adults joined though. At least now I have two other people to talk to...

Though if you ask me it's groovy that someone my age can even hop around...there are some things that are impossible or very difficult to do like splits...