Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest Gingeralex

Tight hamstrings

Guest Gingeralex

I have very tight hamstrings. They are better then they used to be and I do some exersizes for them like I just stand with my feet truned in and hang over and I also sit on the floor with my legs in front of me and bend as far down as I can (from the hip socket) but was wondering if there are anymore that would help me with my problem. Thanks.

Alex

Guest nikdancer

Those are the basic ones but there are ways to make them a little better for example...

in the hanging over one try crossing your legs (one in front of the other) and hanging over it gives a better stretch.

when you're sitting on the floor extend one leg adn keep the other bent then bend over your leg from the hip but.... reach over(with the opposite arm) adn grab the outside of your foot

also if you lie on your back adn keep on knee bent on the floor adn developpe the other leg as close to your chest as you can....this works particularly well if you release (ie bend the leg) and extend a few times going farther each time....

there you go good luck

nikdancer

Mel Johnson

Those are all oldies and goodies! smile.gif And they're all pretty safe! If you need a pad under you for any work lying on the floor, I found that a terrycloth towel doubled provided just enough padding.

Guest Gingeralex

Thanks for your help!!

Alex

Guest balletqueen14

I do a stretch where you stand in a semi-wide parallel fourth, then strecth over the front leg. HTH! biggrin.gif

Guest DancerJamie

stand facing the bar and put your leg up just so your heal is on the bar and strech forward. Pilates also has a number of hamstring streches.

------------------

Jamie

Victoria Leigh

The stretch that Jamie suggests is fine, but just don't SLIDE down the barre! Standing in a balanced position, with the leg on the barre, and bending forward or side is fine, but no sliding. (Jamie, please note the spelling of barre! smile.gif )

Guest DANCE=MY-LIFE
Originally posted by Victoria Leigh:

The stretch that Jamie suggests is fine, but just don't SLIDE down the barre!  Standing in a balanced position, with the leg on the barre, and bending forward or side is fine, but no sliding.  

Really? confused.gif

ALL of the teachers that I've had who do stretches on the barre with us, have us slide down the barre. We do that right before we come center. I've been taught that it's a GREAT way to stretch yourself.

~Melissa

Shut Up and DANCE!

Victoria Leigh

Hello Melissa, and welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert Online!

I realize that many, many teachers use this stretch, Melissa, but I strongly disagree with it and think it is potentially dangerous, and definitely unnecessary.

Ballet was developed long before people had the knowledge they do today of how the body moves and what is healthy and what isn't. There are a number of things we do that are not terrific for the body, however some of them are necessary. Some that were considered necessary have also been reconsidered in recent years and found to be quite unnecessary. Some things have been modified or adjusted, and others should just not be done. There is a lot of disagreement about some things, like grand plié, for instance. I have not used grand plié in 4th position for many, many years, and now sometimes do only second position. I may put a couple of first and fifth position grands in somewhere during the barre, but absolutely no longer ever start with them. I do always do second postion, however.

[This message has been edited by Victoria Leigh (edited April 06, 2001).]

Guest DANCE=MY-LIFE

<<Hello Melissa, and welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert Online!>>

Why Thank you! wink.gif

<< I have not used grand plié in 4th position for many, many years, and now sometimes do only second position. I may put a couple of first and fifth position grands in somewhere during the barre, but absolutely no longer ever start with them. I do always do second position, however.>>

What's your reason for not doing a Grande plié in fourth? And... Why don't "you" start with Grande Pliés?

A normal STARTING warm up for me in class is two Demies and a Grande Plié. In First, Second, Fourth, and Fifth. So, I'm interested in knowing why "you" NEVER start with that type of warm up.

~Melissa

Shut Up and DANCE!

Mel Johnson

Melissa, "I" don't start with grand plié in fourth anymore, either. "I" feel it introduces undue torsion and strain far too early in the barre, and like Ms. Leigh, "I"'ll generally start with a second position plié sequence and then go to first and/or fifth, but there are a lot of other more basic warmups than merely plié to be addressed early in the barre. For example, turning the leg out from the hip should occupy some time in some barres even before the plié! Demi-plié in neutral positions is good to start the very beginning of a barre. Sometimes, "I" will incorporate a grand plié in OPEN fourth, which is a very old-fashioned thing to do. The heels don't come off the floor. But that's only for a certain kind of class that "I" don't teach very often. Demi-pliés in fourth get their due attention in the battements tendus, but "I" feel that grands pliés in fourth are really not all that useful, and while they ought not to be avoided absolutely, should appear later on in the barre, or in an adage, if then.

(PS. Now that we've all seen how deprecatory quotation marks work, I think it would be a very good idea for you to familiarize yourself with those to whom you have appeared to condescend. Please note Ms. Leigh's designation as an Administrator of this board, And consult the front page of Ballet Alert! Online [the link is at the foot of this page] for a select biographical sketch. Just click on the link "Who We Are" once you get there.)

[This message has been edited by Mel Johnson (edited April 06, 2001).]

Victoria Leigh

Melissa, while demi plié in fourth is absolutely necessary and important for center work, I don't feel that grand plié in that position does anything that is essential, and since it is potentially damaging to the knees, I don't see any logical reason to do it. Ever.

As Mel said, there are other things which need to be warmed up first, and I use a sequence facing the barre for the most part, which includes demi pliés in first and second, tendus with demi pointe/pointe, flex/pointe, little circles of the leg from the hip with the foot flexed, and some forward stretches in parallel position, maybe some back and side cambrés, etc. It varies. Sometimes there will be calf stretches and quad stretches included, and maybe a little dégagé side/bend the knee turning the leg in and then out to the dégagé again. I develop different combinations of this work, but basically it is intended to gently get the major joints and muscles working without any stress or strain and not too much rotation. The first tendu exercise will include a lot of slow tendus, demi pliés, perhaps temps lié for the 4th postion demi plié and weight changing. It might also include a grand plié in first position. Later in the barre, usually in the rond de jambe exercise, I will put a grand plié in fifth position.

I realize that this is a different approach, but it is one used by the Cuban method, which, by the way, has developed an astounding number of most exceptional dancers in recent years.

[This message has been edited by Victoria Leigh (edited April 06, 2001).]

Guest DANCE=MY-LIFE
Originally posted by Mel Johnson:

(PS.  Now that we've all seen how deprecatory quotation marks work, I think it would be a very good idea for you to familiarize yourself with those to whom you have appeared to condescend.  Please note Ms. Leigh's designation as an Administrator of this board, And consult the front page of Ballet Alert! Online [the link is at the foot of this page] for a select biographical sketch.  Just click on the link "Who We Are" once you get there.)

[This message has been edited by Mel Johnson (edited April 06, 2001).][/b]

I'm very sorry... I had not meant to come acrossed as snotty or otherwise. I was just asking. I appologize.

I just wanted to know why She didn't do it. And I was tired. I'll be more careful in the future. I hope I haven't given anyone the wrong impresion of me.

Again, please except my appologies Ms. Leigh and Mel.

redface.gif melissa

Mel Johnson

It's OK, Melissa - it takes awhile to learn the ropes, here, too, and tired can always do a number on your writing style! smile.gif

Guest DANCE=MY-LIFE
Originally posted by Mel Johnson:

It's OK, Melissa - it takes awhile to learn the ropes, here, too, and tired can always do a number on your writing style!   smile.gif

Thank you so much for undertanding.

~Melissa