Ballet Talk for Dancers

Turnout anatomical ability

sylve'

Thanks Mr. Johnson!! Sitting up no stretch felt in butterfly as well. As she's only 13 does turnout or flexibility disappear as one ages? Is there something she should be doing to maintain what she has? (Other than the wonderful training she's getting!!)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victoria Leigh

• pakrat

• diane

• Latte_and_laptop

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

The training and learning to use what she has really well can't be beat by any stretches. If she already has that much rotation, then she doesn't need to stretch she just needs to learn to use it when standing and moving. :wub:

Mel Johnson

Just keep on keepin' on! As adolescence advances, and the various hormones race through the system, soft tissue can lose elasticity. (And let us say nothing about growth surges, but then that's hormonal, too - Human Growth Hormone!)

• 3 years later...

I'm sure that the answer to this question is already on here somewhere but I've searched through threads without finding the answer!

My daughter is at a vocational school which employs a physiotherapist to come in and assess the children fully every year, providing the parents with a report. This is her second year at the school and she has just had her second assessment.

We won't receive the written report for a while, but DD was told verbally the degree of rotation she has and it seems that one hip/leg has increased by 3 degrees and the other by 4 degrees. I haven't really considered this before, but I guess I had assumed that the natural rotation does not increase, only the student's ability to use it effectively. How long could this increase carry on for potentially? My DD is actually 13, however her bone age/development is that of an 11 year old.

Miss Leigh, I know you said earlier in this thread, some years ago, that you do not deal in statistics when it comes to assessing the physical abilities of students. I guess you still stand by this? Last year's report classed the degree of turnout my DD has as 'excellent' but I'm wondering how true this is (since it's not even approaching 90) and whether there is a minimum point where even if the dancer is using all of the available turnout effectively, it is insufficient for a career in ballet.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Yes, I stand by it, Mulberry. Sorry, but there is just no way to know in terms of the development of rotation. And actually, I really don't have a lot of faith in those measurements they use to asses the rotation. What is important is what we see in front of us, and can tell from working with them, hands on especially, if there is potential for more as they mature. Usually there is, but how much is the big question.

Thank you for your answer. I understand and agree with you. I do question how they can measure it to the degree, classify it, but not say what they're measuring that classification against! I'm not worried about her amount of rotation; I'm sure it will be enough if she uses it all!