Ballet Talk for Dancers

DVD/Videos: Save the Last Dance 2

They do show a swan variation class where Sara is dancing, and excerpts of her dancing Giselle. It wasn't Children of Theatre Street, but it was neat to see on TV.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clara 76

• balletboyrhys

• jddancingqueen

• Dancer28

jddancingqueen

Oh, gee,where to begin? I'm soooo sorry that dancing the role of Giselle at Juillard conservatory wasn't enough for you! I'm sorry it left you feeling so numb and empty inside!! I hope that dancing hip hop in a night club fufils your wildest dreams! AAAACK! :P:thumbsup::wub::green:

DD and I caught this on TV as well. We both liked STLD1. STLD2 should only be shown on airline flights because airsick bags are close at hand. :P

That's what makes this world such a wonderful place; it needs everyone's opinions even if they differ. :P

I missed it. Dd and I have seen the first one, but it's not one of our favourite dance movies. I can't get into the trailer either because I'm outside of the USA. I wouldn't mind seeing it, though, if it has more ballet.

balletboyrhys

even though this movie wasn't amazing (by any standards) it's still nice to see ballet on tv every now and then.

jddancingqueen

I absolutly do agree...I will watch any dance movie regardless of how bad it is! I actually own a copy of Dance Macabre starring Robert Englund! It IS still better than stld2, though. :)

just finished watching it. it was... weird. the roommate was a crazy girl and at some parts the character of sarah sounded russian. maybe i'm just hearing things :sweating: well i can't say i liked it that much. i'm not into hip hop and of course i wanted more ballet. i wonder if that girl who played sarah did all of the dancing? hm.

Edit: She's polish! checked IMDB

balletboyrhys

I think she did do most (if not all) of the dancing. I did some background research and discovered that the actress who plays sarah trained at SAB for years before pursuing film instead.

Yeah, the first thing I said when I saw the preview was,"Seriously, they need to find a different plot line for dance movies besides a ballerina turning to hip-hop."

Well I've seen the trailer only. STLD1 was hard for me to follow all the dialogs because I cannot understand "hip-hop way of speaking" without subtitles :sweating:

But I didn't like it, because the girl who was playing Sara had no dancing spirit at all, and her facial expressions while dancing was awkward, and I said to myself "boy, couldn't they find a real dancer?". About this "dance spirit" thing I must say that I'm ofcourse not an expert to criticise but when someone looks unhappy, forced while dancing and if she/he makes me feel like she/he just "has to" do it and not because he/she likes it, well then I say that it's a spirit issue. And I must add that Maureen in Center Stage (Susan May Pratt) is not a dancer as far as I know but I didn't feel like I did when I saw Sara dancing while watching her. Anyway, according to the trailers, the new girl does certainly have it and I'm glad. Yet again, I will not see that movie I guess because I don't want to pause it continuously to understand what they are talking about. And I'm really not into hip-hop =)

thankfully for IMDB- i read she did train at SAB and then her career ended at 17 because of ankle, knee and vertebra injuries. still that makes me wonder if she still did all of that dancing? if so, that was pretty good for having those injuries

jddancingqueen

It didn't look to me like she did all of her own dancing. Did you notice all of the close ups of the intricate port de bras and then the extreme long shots and close ups of the feet? Those seem to be red flags that there is something fishy going on! In all fairness, though, it did look like she did the swan variation herself. I always pay attention to these things since I got the heartbreaking news that Jennifer Beales didn't do all of her own dancing in Flashdance! :excl:

Did you notice all of the close ups of the intricate port de bras and then the extreme long shots and close ups of the feet? Those seem to be red flags that there is something fishy going on!

yeah i saw that- and that made me think she didn't do all of the dancing, so who knows?

timedancingby

My dd and I rented the DVD last night and watched it. She hated the way the movie misrepresented Julliard! We have a dancer from our studio that just graduated from Julliard and dances classical ballet, modern and yes, hip hop!

As for Sara, she did do some of her own dancing. In the extra features they tell how many of the ballet segments were danced by her. The hip hop choreographer did say he had to really work with her to make the hip hop moves more fluid and less rigid. They did use two hip hop doubles, and two ballet doubles, so I think the long angle shots showing the more difficult dancing, and most of the hip hop was done by the doubles.