Ballet Talk for Dancers

still looking for wisdom

Hello again. I posted before about needing advice trying to fit into new company. I am really struggling to please the director. Ever since asking for permission to take supplemental training to increase my endurance, she seems to be not liking me at all. She is angry at me and I don't want to make her mad. I won't get more training if I'm not allowed, but now she is on my case about everything. The other girls in the company won't talk to me anymore either. How do you know when it's right to break a contract. I know it's wrong to break a contract and don't want to but my mom and I have talked to this director and let her know we want to be supportive and a team member but just need more difficult classes once or so a week. I am homeschooled and could do it during the day and never miss classes there. I guess she really thinks we think she's not a good teacher or something, but she only teaches us once a week and she won't give me private lessons. So I don't know what else to do but look outside their program to get more training. Again, it isn't in the contract that we can only go to that school. Is this normal? I've never been in a company before and the experience is so discouraging. All I want to do is get better in my ballet.

I am not 'experienced' about situations about fitting into ballet companies. BUT the one thing I noticed in reading a lot of your posts that your 'company' situation sounds very wierd. Meaning: Are you being paid as a company member? Why are lower level students even doing in your classes slowwwwwwwwwwing the classes down to thier level? What type of a company is this...and why are you being so limited by your 'contract'? I don't mean to be nosy, it is just that the description of your dancing situation makes me think of more 'questions' as opposed to actual answers.

• Administrators

Sarahlyn, I'm sorry, but we cannot have the same question posted twice. You have 5 replies on the other thread. This one is closed.

(dancingis....., she is referring to a student, or civic company, not a professional company.)