Ballet Talk for Dancers

First Time at ballet

jimis

Hello my name is jim 24 years old from greece.i like ballet from very young but never had the courage to ask my parent about ballet classes because all of the stereotypes as you know.i took the the desicion i will go to sign up ballet classes hide from them because i want to try so much :thumbsup: even for 1 time.

What i want to ask is first to give me some advices and what i must expect to see at my frist classes.Also i would like to ask if anyone from here who do ballet is from greece where he could advice me better what ballet school to choose here at athens . because most of the schools doesnt take boys at this age as beeginers :wink:

thanks all

Hello, Jim, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :)

The very basic things that you will be taught in your first class will include the five positions of the feet, the carriage of the arms, how to tell if you're standing straight up or not (believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't know this), and some of the basic movements: plier, to bend, etendre, to stretch, jeter, to toss, and so on. You will be taught the use of the barre with both hands and then with only one hand, changing sides as you go. You will learn, among many other things that the body gets warmed up from the ground up, and when you are properly prepared, then you go into the center and start to do some of the things you have done at the barre without any support. The simpler exercises will be linked together to make steps, and once you have learned some steps, then they start getting linked together into combinations (enchainements). Your French will get a good workout, as that is the language of ballet.

I don't know if there's anybody here with experience of Greek ballet schools, but there must be somebody!

Looks like the State School of Dance has a large program, though not focussed on adult beginners of course. Still, they probably know what other schools are available. Why not call or stop by their office and see if you can find someone helpful? Ballet enthusiasts are usually VERY helpful to other ballet enthusiasts!

They're on Omirou, but I can't place it from the tiny map on their web site. But then, it's been 30 years since I worked there - I think Athens may have changed a bit ... :)

You mean a dance belt? Yes, there is a need to wear one especially when you're wearing tights. That is information that is given before the first class, when class uniform is discussed with the office personnel, along with things like class times, dates, places, and of course, most importantly, tuition. A dance belt is much stouter stuff than a simple athletic supporter/jockstrap that is worn for sports because it is required to your lower abdominal muscles and sacro-coccygeal zone in back much more than for, say, football.

• 2 months later...
Guest TheBalletGuy
You mean a dance belt? Yes, there is a need to wear one especially when you're wearing tights. That is information that is given before the first class, when class uniform is discussed with the office personnel, along with things like class times, dates, places, and of course, most importantly, tuition. A dance belt is much stouter stuff than a simple athletic supporter/jockstrap that is worn for sports because it is required to your lower abdominal muscles and sacro-coccygeal zone in back much more than for, say, football.

Mel... I take it you are talking about American FootBall? :) hahaha. Because its just not making sence if your talking about Our football. haha. (well its soccer where you are)

No, I meant football(soccer). An ordinary athletic supporter is favored by most players in this country. Some idiots even Go Commando, nothing at all. In American and Canadian football, a much stouter apparatus is used, including a somewhat armored "cup" in front. One of my students took up American football, and found that his dance belt was much better than the standard undergarment for the sport, and chafed less.

Guest TheBalletGuy
No, I meant football(soccer). An ordinary athletic supporter is favored by most players in this country. Some idiots even Go Commando, nothing at all. In American and Canadian football, a much stouter apparatus is used, including a somewhat armored "cup" in front. One of my students took up American football, and found that his dance belt was much better than the standard undergarment for the sport, and chafed less.

Thats great! (the part about your student)

Brought a smile to my face. Thanks mel.