Ballet Talk for Dancers
Pavlova's_daughter

I...can't...PIROUETTE!!

Pavlova's_daughter

I feel so frustrated!! Ever since the beggining of the school year I haven't been able to pirouette properly! I just have NO balance. Is it just a phase? What can I do? I've never been able to do that many, but before at least I was on balance. Now I have so much trouble finding my center. It's like I've got this block about them.

Has anyone else gone through a "can't pirouette phase"? What can I do to be on balance? I want to be able to do clean nicely balanced triples and right now I can only do doubles (sometimes clean, mostly sloppy)... Any advice? :)

Mel Johnson

Did you just grow some, even a little? That could be your answer right there.

And welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Pd. :)

If that's what happened, then you have to find your centers all over again. Doesn't that sound like FUN?!

Pavlova's_daughter
Did you just grow some, even a little? That could be your answer right there.

And welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Pd. :)

If that's what happened, then you have to find your centers all over again. Doesn't that sound like FUN?!

I'm not sure if I grew recently, but probably I did. Is that really enough to throw your pirouettes off a lot?

Mel Johnson

Oh yes! Whether it's top to bottom, side to side or front to back, it changes your center of gravity.

Pavlova's_daughter

Joy. I think I'll stop growing now, thank you very much! :)

BlackLaceTutu

I have this problem too.

I used to be able to do clean triples (en pointe), but now doubles are hard. For me it's mostly a phobia of falling while doing multiple en dehors pirouettes en pointe because I can do other kinds of turns (even fouettes!) and I have great triple piques.

(of course my problems did start when I grew a bit last year)

Edited by BlackLaceTutu

little_dancer123

Yes I've had this before, it is extremely annoying! There's obviously nothing you can do about growing, so... :yes:

Belle of the ballet #1

I've had this problem before as well, but my teacher has this one thing she sayes in class whenever she sees us getting stressed or saying we can't do something... "you can't say can't and you never say never" it's kind of like her little motto.

I know sometimes it is physical things that throw you off making it more difficult to do something that you used to be able to do with ease. But if you tell yourself you can't do it it will be even more difficult, aside from putting in 110% effort to get it in class, you have to tell yourself you can do it. It may sound kind of silly, but positive thinking will help.

So next time you go into a pirrouette, don't think, oh no, i'm so off centre this will never work! instead, before you go to class imagine yourself doing the most beautiful and centred pirrouettes, and then when it gets to them in class think to yourself, I can do this and hopefully it might help.

I think part of it is how your muscles get tense when you worry and stress about something, so when you relax, your body is less tense and more able to do what you want it to.

good luck for your next classes, and I hope you pirrouettes return soon!

luv belle

katie kav

okay .. i've had my pirouette down for a long time now .. and what you have to do is , go into 5th and just balance without proceeding into releve. after that prep side then back .... when you go into releve for your turn think upp ! pull your whole body up and spot . Hopefully that helps you , I think it should .. just remember the steps and always think up . ;)

NHBnutcracker

Ah! Does this mean that my 2 inch growth spurt over the past year or so may be contributing to the fact that I am a horrible turner?

And I wasn't before? About a year after learning pirrouettes I was doing doubles left and right, but now I can barely do a clean single to the left (though I did do a few clean triples to the right yesterday)

At least now I know its not just me!

Victoria Leigh

Yes, NHB, it could definitely affect your center of balance, and therefore your turns.

katie kav, I'm afraid that I do not understand your post at all. Please clarify, but also, state your post as "This is what my teacher said that worked for me", rather than making a flat statement to "do this", which is advice that is not allowed from students on the YD board. I know you are new, and I explained this a bit more following your other post about fouettés.

dmdance

Hi Ms Leigh & Mr. Johnson, I am not a Moderator...just a little old teacher :dry: . May I post a response here? I have a comment. I read the stickies, etc... and I am a bit confused about that.

Thank You

Victoria Leigh

We are sorry, dmdance, but no teachers except the three moderator/teachers are allowed on YD forums. Thank you for asking, though! :dry:

Malaika
Has anyone else gone through a "can't pirouette phase"?

I know several others have already answered, but I have to add that I too went through this phase recently.

During the summer I only trained about four or five times (within four weeks), and when I returned to (quite intensive) private training, I felt I had lost _everything_ I was ever able to do. It was sooo frustrating, I ran from my class crying almost every day for the first week. (Thank goodness it was just private lessons with my mom...) :dry:

I don't know whether growth was the problem with me, I have only grown about half an inch since may... but at any rate, something had changed, and I had immense trouble - especially with pirouettes... I felt like a top spinning off axis and even actually fell on the floor several times! :o

So, yes, definately, I know how you feel ---And it got better! I think I am better now than I was before this "down-phase", I have also reformed my technique to work more turned-out than I used to (didn't know I had that much turn-out!), and discovered how easy turns can be when they do work..... :)

So, courage!

Greetings

-Malaika-

P.S. I think belle has a good point with thinking positive - it does make a difference (with me). :thumbsup: