Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dress code? Yes!, except today....

BelaNina

We had one of those days today. The field trip went on more than half an hour past it's scheduled ending time. By the time we left, there was terrible traffic from the high school just ending their day, and then, to top it all off, we were made to pull over for 20 minutes to the side of a mountain road so a very large mobile home - in two pieces - could pass by! Though my daughter had suggested bringing her dance bag in the car when we left for the field trip, I had said she didn't need to because we'd be back home in plenty of time to get ready. Ha!

I realized that there was no way we were going to make it home in time for dd to change, and get to ballet class on time. What to do? "Well," I said, "you do have some jazz clothes in the car. Do you think you could wear those to ballet, and explain the situation to your teacher?" Dd thought that would be fine, so I dropped her off at ballet - the one class per week she takes with the 12 - 15 year olds :blink: wearing jazz shorts and a tank top. :wacko:

So, I have learned my lesson - If it's a dance class day (and when isn't it :wacko: ), always bring the dance bag in the car no matter what! But for today, I am grateful that dd has an understanding teacher. :blink:

Long ago, we learned through many such lessons, to keep the dance bag in the car at all times and to always have a spare leo and tights included. :blink: When they are used the rule we try to follow is to put a clean set back in the bag the same day (before we both forget). There were a time or two when this process was not followed, but thanks to her tendency to shed her leo and tights in the backseat, when going on to the next activity and then forgetting to remove them from the car, she has been known to fish some out from under the seat and wear them again in an emergency. :wacko:

Now, she has a locker at the studio and the trick is to get her to bring it all home, so that it can be washed. When there are no clean tights to be found on the homefront, she will usually come in that night with a huge pile of dirty ones and go straight to the washing machine. :wacko:

Next Friday we enter the realm of having to go straight to ballet from school, and so a new chapter begins as we have to get a bag packed and ready to go in the car. Thankfully she has oodles of tights and at least three or four leotards that fit (unlike me, who has just one pair of tights and has to make sure she does laundry in a timely manner!)

(Remember all my back and forth about DD moving up a level half-time, blah blah blah? DD is totally fine with it now and has eased right into it. Letting her get emotionally ready was the way to go! I know this is off-topic, but I think you'll remember that thread of mine.)

I find it's hard to remember to wash everything on Saturday evening so it has time to air dry on Sunday (her one day off) and ready to go again by Monday. I guess its all part of the crazy balancing act we do as parents.

thanks to her tendency to shed her leo and tights in the backseat, when going on to the next activity and then forgetting to remove them from the car,

Balletbooster, this is the same reason why dd even had jazz clothes available in the car! :)

(Remember all my back and forth about DD moving up a level half-time, blah blah blah? DD is totally fine with it now and has eased right into it. Letting her get emotionally ready was the way to go! I know this is off-topic, but I think you'll remember that thread of mine.)

I do remember JETandGES - we had a similar situation with my dd - and I'm so glad to hear that everything's working out well. :thumbsup:

I find it's hard to remember to wash everything on Saturday evening so it has time to air dry on Sunday

dancingin the sun - Air dry?!! :huh:

dancingin the sun - Air dry?!! :)

I air-dry my DDs dance leo & tights. She only takes class once week (although she's recently added Nut practices once a week on top of class) but I've found it helps the tights & leo last longer. I just hang them on the backs of the kitchen table chairs.

I was kinda teasing dancingin the sun in all good fun. :thumbsup: I know it can be hard to convey that online. I know that air drying is probably best to keep leos and tights in the best condition, and I'm pretty sure I remember that dancingin the sun's dd dances 6 days a week (!) so I was actually impressed that she planned ahead in order to air dry her dd's dance clothes for the week!

My dd dances 5 days a week (2 jazz, 3 ballet days per week) and I never air dry. Guess I'm just lazy :) (joking). My dd grows out of all her dance clothes and shoes so quickly these days that it doesn't seem to make a difference anyway :huh: .

My DD keeps 2 pairs of pointes, and extra clothes in car and in locker, and in dance bag. I cannot tell you how many times we have had to loan these items, especially at auditions at other studios etc. Sometimes it is a pain to do but it pays off in the end!

OK mabye I am going to too much work. :green:

What do others do out there? Tights do run out rather quickly so I wonder if it would make any difference to dry them in the dryer? I think I have to air dry her bodysuit as it is made to her measurements and not cheap. I would like her bodysuits to last all year (she only has three).

I line dry all leotards and tights. I don't know if it matters all that much for leotards once growth spurts are taken into account, but I do it nonetheless.

• Administrators

dancin in the sun,

My dd dances 6 days per week and line dries pretty much everything. She does laundry on Sunday and things are pretty much set for the week to come. I can't remember how many leos she has (they seem to increase exponentially over the years), but when she was your dds age she had about the same number as yours does.

My only suggestion to you, as a mom of slightly older dds, is that you get yours as involved as possible in the laundry and care process as soon as possible. It's an important chore for a budding dancer to be able to do and to be responsible for. My first one was pretty spoiled in this regard and I learned my lesson. Second one is MUCH more responsible with taking care of her things, and it's much easier on all of us.

All the best,

m2

My only suggestion to you, as a mom of slightly older dds, is that you get yours as involved as possible in the laundry and care process as soon as possible. It's an important chore for a budding dancer to be able to do and to be responsible for.

Great suggestion, mom2! My dd does help with the laundry, but still isn't quite tall enough to easily get the laundry in and out of the washing machine! I put the tights and leos in mesh bags, and they seem to do well on the gentle cycle/dryer on low :wink:. But if you're a more organized person (unlike myself :o ), then line drying is best, I'm sure. :blushing:

Guest pink tights

Dd dances 6 days per week. I take class 3-4 days per week. So do the math---a ton of leos and tights. Twice a week, I machine wash leos and tights. I have a plate rack, that now resides in my laundry room. I hang all the dance wear on that to dry. Funny....I bought that plate rack years ago and have never used it for displaying plates, as I feared my cats would crash into it, thus breaking my china!! So now I finally get to use it----er, as an expensive rack for drying laundry.....

Either dd or I throw the leo and tights into the dance bag in the morning---if I know I'm going to be out running errands before I pick her up at school, I toss it in the car. That way, if I'm running late or traffic is snarled after school, we have it.

Off topic, but does anyone have a cure for a stinky dance bag?

knock, knock-

DH does most of the family laundry at our house and we have managed to train him to hang dry tights and leos. The catch is he does't really pay much attention so his stratgey is anything pink or black doesn't go in the drier, so sometimes I will find a junky old sweatshirt hanging on the line. Now we are working on getting him to clasp the bras before they go in the wash (these line dry also).

Got to love such a trainable 50+ man.