Ballet Talk for Dancers

Clicking joints..

Guest A Boy

Well, sometimes my knees and toes click annoyingly just from bending them normally.

My main problem is when I put my leg a la seconde in developpes. My leg feels weird and doesn't get very high, then when I push a bit harder my hip clicks and my leg jumps up a significant amount higher. Sometimes when my hip clicks I feel a shooting pain in my upper leg.

I pretty sure this is normal, but I couldn't find any topics elsewhere with the search.

Well, if there are any exercises to stop my joints clicking so much that would be very helpful. :yucky:

• Administrators

The joint clicking is not a problem as long as it doesn't hurt. Many people have joints that snap, crackle and pop with great regularity, and it's just normal. And there is really nothing you can do about it. HOWEVER, if there is pain involved, that is a whole different ball game. Any pain, especially in a major joint like, hip, knee, shoulder or ankle, then you need to get to a doctor and find out what is going on. It is possible that you are placing the leg too far side for your rotational control zone, but if that is not it, then get to a doctor. Check it by moving the leg a bit further forward, not directly side, and see if that makes any difference.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll check whether putting my leg forward helps.

That's probably the reason actually, my teacher has recently been doing a "don't see your working leg to the side" campaign, I might have put my leg somewhere unnatural..