Ballet Talk for Dancers

Feet cramping

glissade_jete

Hi! I haven't posted here in a considerably long time...years, maybe. :) Ha ha, well, I currently dance with Oklahoma Festival Ballet, and we're in the process of rehearsing Kingdom of the Shades, among other pieces. I always have major issues with my feet cramping halfway though the Shades corps opening! I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm petite, so I'm the fourth girl out and therefore have to do MILLIONS of arabesques! I feel myself getting stronger each day, and I know the cramping in my feet will subside as my feet get stronger in the choreography, but I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to help relieve some of the cramping. Is it more a matter of doing releves and working with Therebands in my free time, or does stretching help also? Thanks so much!

Make sure that you are properly hydrated, and that you haven't got a slight depletion of potassium. Eat a banana, washed down with some orange juice. In this one, the theraband is your friend! (nota bene: Do not try to eat the therabands. Marinara sauce helps some, but they still are too chewy.) :)

Ha ha ha. Thanks so much! I forgot about the connection between cramps and hydration!

• Administrators

Also, since you mention long pointe rehearsals, be very sure that your shoes are not too tight!

• 1 month later...
Guest LondonBallet

You bring up a good point. You do not want circulation completely cut off in your toes. You need to wiggle them in your shoes every once and while even though it may hurt. :blink: