Ballet Talk for Dancers

Balanchine Technique

Alysse

Hello everyone! I have been lately questioning this. If I want to make it big in the dance world, is going to SAB for at least one summer to learn the Balanchine technique a seriously necesity? I am training at a classical studio. It seems like every dancer bio that I read, they have all at least spend one summer at SAB. What if in your resume, the people that accept you see no sign of Balanchine...will they think twice about you even if you are a beautiful dancer?

And one more thing about SAB...my friend that went there for a summer told me that the people at SAB do not like short people at all and won't give you the same amount of attention as they would a tall girl. I don't want to be spreading rumors or anything, just asking a question.

I will also do a search on this.

Thanks!

Alysse having the best ballet training available to you is what will help to prepare you for a career in ballet. However there are many companies that require a student attend their school prior to entering the company. It makes good business sense for the companies. If your goal is to enter NYCB then you will have to attend SAB to enter that company. There are only a handful of dancers who have become members of NYCB without attending their company affiliated school.

As for what they like/are looking for in a dancer? The same as everyone else. The best dancer they can find. :rolleyes: If you take a look at their website you may find photos of dancers in the company. Although they may look tall, not all are. It is a matter of proportion. When a dancer has long limbs, a long neck and a small head they tend to look taller than they are.

As far as entering other companies with SAB on your resume, no it is not necessary at all...even for a summer. :)

Thanks so much for this Vrsfanatic!

I have no intention on being in the NYCB because I am not Balanchine trained and I know that NYCB is Balanchine based. I was thinking more ABT, PNB, and some companies abroad. Almost every dancer at ABT has had at least a summer at SAB, so I was wondering if it was extremely necessary.

Thanks!

• Administrators

I think that might be somewhat of an exaggeration, Alysse, and it is certainly not a requirement.

I'm not qualified to say if Balanchine training is needed for most companies (and besides, you have an answer now) but I can say from personal experience as a short girl (curently 16 and just under 5' 2") who attended SAB that height doesn't have anything to do with how much attention you get. What matters is technique, attitude, and your 'stage presence' in the classroom. Also, I don't know how old you are, but being short can actually be an advantage in performances with NYCB because you can be in children's roles up to age 15 and by then you're ready for the workshop.

I'm not qualified to say if Balanchine training is neede for most companies (and besides, you have an answer now) but I can say from personal experience as a short girl (curently 16 and just under 5' 2") who attended SAB that height doesn't have anything to do with how much attention you get. What matters is technique, attitude, and your 'stage presence' in the classroom. Also, I don't know how old you are, but being short can actually be an advantage in performances with nycb because you can be in children's roles up to age 15 and by then you're ready for the workshop.

puppies fly...

Thanks so much for this! I guess my friend just got something different from her SAB experience. I have always been shy or embarrased about trying out for SAB. Although I am a talented dancer, I am not the Balanchine height.

Thanks!