Ballet Talk for Dancers

Texas Woman's University

Just dance related??

They have an amazing Education Department. Their professors, especially in the Reading Dept, are outstanding!!

Famous educators visit the campus often and the school provides professional development for the teachers all over the metroplex.

I don't know anything about dance, sorry!

• Administrators

Their dance is primarily modern and strong in education. I would not send a serious classical dancer there.

Just dance related??

They have an amazing Education Department. Their professors, especially in the Reading Dept, are outstanding!!

This is interesting to hear. According to their website, the dance department has a strong focus on research in dance pedagogy - I wonder if they are connected to the education department.

And actually, gramatically oddly enough, its "Texas WomAn's University"...yes, they use the singular, no I don't know why...

:yes: I realised that once I pressed "enter" Maybe a moderator can change the title please? Thanks.

I was also wondering about the campus/location itself. Is it a nice campus? How are the dance facilities? And how far is it from Dallas/Fort Worth?

strong in education.

Do you mean their undergraduate degree (they have a BA with teacher certification), or does this include the graduate school as well?

The drive is straight down I35E, about 25 mins to downtown Dallas, and down I35W about the same to Ft Worth. Traffic notwithstanding, of course...

Denton is a nice college town (University of North Texas is also there), very friendly. One mall in Denton proper, but several hundred within a half hour or so! And between Denton and Dallas (about 15 minutes) is a great dance store in Lewisville!

TWU has a wonderful grad program in education, too. But I'm sure that there are much better ballet schools, say TCU or SMU.

DFW is an economical place to live, too.

• Administrators

DSL, what I meant was that it seemed to me that their strength, at least when I visited there many years ago, was not in performance dance, but in the academic areas of dance. This could have changed, but I have not heard anything to that effect.

• 2 years later...

I realize that there have not been many posts on the dance program at TWU lately- I'm in the grad program currently, and if anyone has any questions regarding it I would love to help! It is primarily a modern department, but students are required to take ballet as well- we have a few lovely ballet instructors. There is a push for dance pedagogy, like many have said, but also performance. As far as regional dance festivals are concerned (ACDFA, etc), we always have a strong representation because of our focus on the performance aspect. We offer a BA in Dance, as well as an MA, MFA, and Ph.D. in Dance. Hope that helps!

• 7 years later...

Does anyone have any updated information available about TWU's dance program as it pertains to a BA in dance with the Dance Studies option instead of Dance education?