Ballet Talk for Dancers

Online Videos: Medora?

While I'm on break, I decided to sit on YouTube and watch Le Corsaire. We've learned the slave variation from the pas de trois and one of the Medora variations that I can't find anywhere. The music has a rolling piano at the beginning and at least the version we learned starts from a bouree into a entrechat cinq then into a little saute ronde the jambe thingie that goes into three pique arabesques... at least that's the beginning. Does anyone know if this is even a Medora variation and if so, where in the ballet is it? I could ask my professor, but this is bugging me now. ;_;

What are the tags, and who's dancing it? The first one I come to, just using "Medora" as a tag is the familiar 2/4 from the pas de deux done by Kunakova.

I haven't found the variation online which makes me wonder if my professor is mistaken about the name of the variation. I'm currently trying to watch through all of the ABT Le Corsaire to see if I can find it.

DD thinks this is in act II of ABT's Le Corsaire. Also, she says it starts with a little bit different steps than the one you decribed.

I haven't found the variation online which makes me wonder if my professor is mistaken about the name of the variation. I'm currently trying to watch through all of the ABT Le Corsaire to see if I can find it.

Bear in mind that there are Corsaires and there are Corsaires. The Kirov version is rather different from the ABT one.

Actually, I second that question. I believe we learned that exact variation in class, my teacher showing us a video of Fonteyn performing it first. It was apparently, Le Corsaire, from what I remember, and yet I have never seen that variation performed in Le Corsaires that I have watched online.

AHA! That's the Queen Dryad variation from Don Quixote. When Nureyev staged a Corsaire pas de deux for himself and Fonteyn, he substituted this variation for the usual 2/4, even though London audiences were familiar with the other via Festival Ballet.

Thank you! I searched high and low for the variation online and found nothing under Le Corsaire, which would make sense now. And of course, my friends thought I was crazy sifting through the Corsaire clips shouting, "It isn't there!" Thank you ever so much for solving this mystery, Mr. Johnson!