Ballet Talk for Dancers

FREAKING OUT!!!

kasaba

I can't sleep. My 5th grade students' Christmas concert is next Tuesday (I'm a music teacher), and they are SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO not ready!!! :o People don't know their lines . . . one of the (4) teachers hasn't practiced singing the songs, so her kids don't know the words . . . All of the kids talk CONSTANTLY despite death threats from me & other teachers :wub: I can't seem to get any half-time entertainment lined up . . . and the teacher who's supposed to do the set is at home with a kidney stone :speechless:

The one bright spot is the dancers. I need to write a thank you letter to Emmitt Smith: this is the first time in recorded history that 10-year-old BOYS have begged me to: a) ballroom dance, :shrug: with girls, c) on a stage in front of their parents, d) in red sequined vests and bow ties! :thumbsup:

(PS can you tell I'm a little emotional here?)

I feel your pain! I teach fourth graders (science).

Speaking to the chattiness problem -- this seems to be endemic these days. It's a problem in my classes (five total), and also at another school whose teachers I join for a learning group. Something we all have to work on, I guess. Let me know what works for you!

What used to work for the kids in my classes when I was little was detention- the thought of staying in school when everyone else was done was a huge deterrent. My teacher would give a general warning at the beginning of the school day and after lunch- if you didn't heed it, you stayed. It didn't take long before quiet was the norm. Besides, they could learn the lyrics during the detention period and that kills another problem, at least for those kids.

I'm a teacher, too, and chattiness is definitely a problem! I am a special ed teacher and I work with grades 3-5 and I see it across the board, though particularly with the 3rd and 4th graders. I also see a lot of apathy. They don't care if we punish them or yell at them or anything. They just sort of stare with the 'are you done yet, lady?' look on their faces no matter how hard we try to engage them! Ugh!

And at my school, at least, we can't keep kids after school...

Then you lost a good disciplinary tool, Marcel, as most of the kids in my class feared detention and the consequences felt when having to call home in the middle of the day to tell Mom, who would then tell dad, and then it was really bad!

I'm a teacher, too, and chattiness is definitely a problem! I am a special ed teacher and I work with grades 3-5 and I see it across the board, though particularly with the 3rd and 4th graders. I also see a lot of apathy. They don't care if we punish them or yell at them or anything. They just sort of stare with the 'are you done yet, lady?' look on their faces no matter how hard we try to engage them! Ugh!

And at my school, at least, we can't keep kids after school...

Exactly. And the parents!!! If you try to keep the kids in at recess or make them write "I will not _____" 25 times, parents protest and threaten to sue. Makes ya crazy! :blushing:

Actually, one of my students (age 10!) told me she'd have her daddy sue me if she was late for her bus. I didn't even keep her after; I just told the class I'd dismiss them when they were finished talking...

I'm smiling, out of shared problems.... but I teach Masters students. My 'kids' are fab this year, but sometimes they resemble hyper 5 year olds more than anything else! :blushing:

I'm laughing at Ami's comparison with university students. Some of mine (undergrads) seem to work off that excess energy by eating pens. Not just sucking, really crunching down on the plastic. Yumm! :shrug: NOT recommended. Now, it's bad enough with six year olds, but how do tell someone who's nineteen to sit still?! I am forever on the verge of hearing myself become Joyce Grenfell (don't know if she was big in the US?): "George.......... Don't do that" :shrug:.

Actually ... the occupational therapists tell us that chewing (gum, hard candy, pencil toppers) is excellent stimulation for those who need a way to keep themselves alert and focused. Koosh ######, kneadable art erasers, and Silly Putty also work ... as long as the "kids" are disciplined enough to keep them in their own hands.

It's not necessarily excess energy, but not enough energy to stay focused, that gets kids in trouble.

I'm with ami; my 2nd year Latin students in University classes chatter in the back. If the atmosphere is friendly I'll sometimes burst out with a "George, I'm talking/be quiet." What I find more effective is a direct stare and utter silence, with a "we're waiting" subtext.

I feel for those of you in the trenches teaching basic classroom etiquette --along with science, math, reading, etc.--and assure you that those of us on the higher end appreciate your efforts (most of my "kids" (often older than I am) are beautifully behaved; and I know where it comes from).

(And YES Treefrog: the gum-chewers, doodlers, and so on . . . as long as it isn't noisy. . . I am all for it).

Our parents complain when we discipline their children, too. I have one mother that consistantly blames her son's poor behavior on the school. Of course it's our fault. It couldn't possibly be because he's spoiled...

And being an ADD-sufferer myself, I know how gum chewing can help. However, I cannot trust my elementary kids with it. I would definitely find it stuck under my tables... Other similar behaviors are okay by me but only when I know they are paying attention. At that age, they usually haven't mastered multitasking.

We do have detention but it's during recess and taking away recess from some of the kids causes more problems than it solves because they really need to get out there and run around. I will use detention with the particularly disruptive/disrespectful kids but I try other things first. I really try to focus on positive reinforcement but sometimes it just doesn't work at all.

Just a comment on the stress ######....

Our company got the small hand sized stress ###### made as a marketing tool and went and gave them out at the train stations.

Of course there were loads left over so nearly everyone had 1, a lot have 2 or more.

Then it starting happening.... ###### flying around the office. Getting hit in the head when you least expect it.

Doesn't hurt, but it annoys the hell out of me :P:D

Fish