Ballet Talk for Dancers

Arches

Guest tweedle-dee

Guest tweedle-dee

I'm super lucky in that I have nice feet...very strong and high, high arches. Is it possible for arches to be too high? Mine are high to the point that I can comfortably slide a pencil under one side of my foot and stick it out the other without lifting my foot off the floor, and still have plenty of space to wiggle said pencil. My feet cramp often, and it's difficult to stay centred on my foot as it's easier to balance when I roll my foot one way or the other. Any response or answers appreciated.

I have the exact same problem! I don't know if you already do this, but I've found that before class or if you have a break that this thing is very helpful to get rid of those particularly nasty cramps, but I don't know if they can be too high

Hi, tweedle-dee, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :D

Yes, it is possible to have an arch which is too high, but then you get into the area of foot deformities. Many are formed from an abnormally short posterior tibial tendon, and some have other causes. I was looking for a good graphic, but can't find a good one expeditiously. In old China, it used to be a mark of high social status for a woman's feet to be bound in such a way as to create this malformation. When the feet were unbound, the patients discovered this wobbliness, too, as they had never been able to do much about developing the muscles of the feet and ankles in order to be self-ambulatory.

And sugarplum, I know you want to be helpful, but let the moderators have first crack at questions.

Guest tweedle-dee

Thankyou Mr. Johnson and sugarplum239!!! Just out of curiosity Mr. Johnson....how do you come across such random information about foot wobliness in various countries and time periods?

My "day job" is being curator at a history museum. We happen to have a pair of Chinese women's bound-foot shoes in the collection. Awful-looking things.

One of my English classes in high school studied those shoes as part of our cultural exploration for The Good Earth. People were mortified. But they were even more mortified when I brought in my pointe shoes for some other project. The things non balletomanes think! =]

On a more topic related note, I had that problem up until a couple months ago. I have very high arches, so I'd wobble EVERYWHERE. My teacher "cured" me of it by telling me every time I was rolling. Because I built that awareness of knowing when I was OFF my proper foot placement, I was better able to be on it, and now it's no trouble at all. =]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have really high arches too. You have to be really careful with high arches: it puts a stress on your achilles tendon. I got a stress fracture in my heel bone because of my high arches and from dancing too much :yes: Anyway, just be sure you stretch the achilles tendon. You might also consider getting orthotics and never ever wearing flip flops. Hope this helps

Glissade

The ball with spikes sugarplum239 suggested is AMAZING at working out any cramps or kinks in your feet. You can also use them to self-massage your back and shoulders leaning against a wall.

Anne

For the sake of disambiguation, and for those of you who only read the latest post of a thread, that doesn't mean this thing.

This one is practically useless for therapy except if you have frustration issues and need to vent, or demolish some drywall, or perhaps at the Motor Vehicle Bureau. :)

Scroll back up and look at sugarplum239's post and use her link.

• 2 months later...

I have high arches, which in my case makes my feet weaker and I had to work much harder to releve since my arch practically pops out of my shoe. I got new shoes now where I don't do that as much but they are 3/4 shank so I almost go over the box. Anyways, where can you get good orthotics? I definitely need something to help with my rolling, since I roll in a lot. :o

I went to physical therapist to help strengthen my ankles, and she also showed my this thing where you can tape around your ankles and arches to help support it. Does anybody know if this if effective with helping weak arches? :o

ji have a friend with the same problem. since i have flatter feet, i helped her with the idea of pulling out of her shoes, not sinking in, and turning out at the ssame time. that helped her feel her feet better and get more strength. also, you can ask your teacher if in warm up instead of going over in plie on pointe, ask if you can just work on growing out of your shoes.

hope i helped!!

Rachie

ji have a friend with the same problem. since i have flatter feet, i helped her with the idea of pulling out of her shoes, not sinking in, and turning out at the ssame time. that helped her feel her feet better and get more strength. also, you can ask your teacher if in warm up instead of going over in plie on pointe, ask if you can just work on growing out of your shoes.

hope i helped!!

Rachie