Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest IDTdancer

Paquita Variations

Guest IDTdancer

Alright so I was just wondering if anyone has ever done one of the 6 Paquita variations. My youth company is doing them for our winter showcase and I was cast to do Paquita #2. I've finished learning the choreography and now I'm just working on cleaning it. Anyone know of any good videos (YouTube, Google, MySpace etc) of the choreography that I could watch for some stylistic tips?

Victoria Leigh

Hello IDTdancer, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :D

There is a good video of Paquita by ABT. It's on ABT at the Met, I think. Check Amazon.com by going through the link at the top of our pages. :3dnod: Having the video would be far better than youtube, etc.

Guest IDTdancer

Thank you very much, I'll look into getting a video. Maybe as an Xmas gift :D This is off topic from my first post but I was also wondering if there were any good SIs in the midwest. I'm advanced for my studio but I'm worried about not being able to keep up at some of the SIs I've looked at. I'm currently set on Joffrey San Antonio but if there are any you can think of where I wouldn't be TOO overwhelmed....it would be awesome! :3dnod:

Redstorm

What about Joffrey Midwest? There is also Milwaukee, Cincinatti, the list goes on....

Your best bet would be to wander over to the 2007 SI List forum and check out each individual site to see what would work for you and your family.

Princess_at_heart

About watching the variations online, ABT's at the Met performance is on youtube, in the entirety I think. Also, Paris Opera has a lot of Paquita on there, too.

Mel Johnson

But remember, the "Paquita Grand Pas" that we see today is not a stable and entire creation of its own. It's a grab-bag of favorite variations from all over the Imperial Russian repertoire, including Don Quixote, The Little Hump-Backed Horse, and a host of others. If somebody were to tip in the "Tea for Two" variation from The Golden Age, hardly anybody would notice! (Actually, maybe they would. In that ballet, the song is used as an entr'acte, not a dance.)